PDA

View Full Version : Never Look a gift horse

Gary Max
09-24-2008, 7:03 PM
Well there's a saying that starts like that anyway----this Ebony was a gift.
I should of ran , but no I was so happy to get a block of Ebony. I cut it in half---burnt a bandsaw blade up---almost trashed a chainsaw cutting it in half. Still not getting any smarter---should of tossed it in the firewood pile-but No--I was so happy to have a block of Ebony.

One half was cut up into pen blanks and other smaller stock---yup you guess right---broke the bandsaw blade.

Tossed to rest on my big lathe----broke a gouge in half trying to get it round. She was full of cracks and voids---see the Turquoise filler.
That was a total mess to work down smooth.

I lost track of how many hours turning time I have in this ----but I am sure I did not have fun. Ebony has a very nasty dust---I will get the leaf blower out in the moring and blow the shop out.

She will get a couple coats of oil then a buff and she will be done. Beware of folks giving away Ebony.

Allen Neighbors
09-24-2008, 9:30 PM
Gorgeous. Sorry for all your trouble, but it's gorgeous.

Steve Schlumpf
09-24-2008, 9:58 PM
Gary - sure sounds like this piece put you through the wringer! Glad to see you won the fight! Beautiful rich colors, pleasing form and quite the story to go along with it! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Well after all you have been thru Gary it looks like you won the war. That is a nice piece.

Keith Burns
09-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Gary, I don't know wat kind of Ebony this is but I have cut and turned Ebony hollow forms and never had the problems you had. In fact I found it very easy ro turn. Curious as to what kind of gouge you broke in half and how/why it broke.

Barry Stratton
09-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Sounds like quite the battle.

Do you finish turn the inside after a coat or two of oil??? I haven't done many HFs so am looking for some pointers. Thanks.

Judy Kingery
09-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Gary,

Keith and I have had similar experiences with Ebony, or at least what I thought to be Ebony, black, brittle, with some blonde pith. It turned very well, was very hard, and made excellent throw tops with almost no sanding necessary. I did chip a bit on one, i.e. brittle or dry-hard. Otherwise turned beautifully and likely on that one piece I either hit a fault line or just nudged the gouge a bit too much. Otherwise, enjoyed turning quite a few throw tops out of it. Still have a few sticks left. Regardless, yes, your bowl/hollow form turned out beautifully even if you did have to really 'earn' it with hard work. I've had some other woods (mulberry comes to mind) that were a rodeo and got tossed into the fire!!!

Best wishes,

Jude

Gary Max
09-25-2008, 2:32 AM
This is Texas Black Ebony???? Well that's what my friend calls it. Very hard very brittle. Like you folks I have enjoyed working with it on smaller stuff but moving up to something this size was a whole new adventure. I filled two 30 gal trash cans with dust and chips.
The gouge----my fault---to much space between tool and wood----I just blame the wood.
I put the first coat of oil on as soon as I have it shaped and sanded----I find it helps slow checking.
We are doing a big show in two weeks and I hope this will be ready.

Keith Burns
09-25-2008, 8:43 AM
Well Gary that somewhat explains things. Texas Ebony is an Evergreen tree that grows along the Texas coast and is not the same as what most people think of as Ebony. I've never turned Texas Ebony but would love to get some.

Dick Strauss
09-25-2008, 2:31 PM
Gary,
You didn't tell us how big the finished piece is. Your piece turned out really nice.

Thanks for the warning! I have a small block (maybe 5x5x2) that I now know will be a challenge. I'll have to be in the right mood before I tackle that one I guess.

Gary Max
09-25-2008, 4:16 PM
Sorry about that---------looks like 13 by 8 deep.
She now has three coats of oil on---I will let it set for a couple days now and see how she looks.

curtis rosche
09-25-2008, 7:08 PM
that is an amazing peice, that was deffinatly worth it in my opinion. i reallly like the form on this peic eit reminds me of a peice of licorice candy drop

Don Eddard
09-25-2008, 7:58 PM
I'm sure it was a lot of hard work, especially at that size, but honestly, it doesn't float my boat. Since you didn't ask for critiques, I'll not offer any.

Curt Fuller
09-25-2008, 10:07 PM
I've never turned Texas Ebony but I've seen some beautiful things made from it. I didn't realize there was any wood hard enough to break a gouge though. If you get a chance to turn more of it maybe you should get with these guys and have them give you some pointers.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=50173&highlight=texas+ebony
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57176&highlight=texas+ebony

Judy Kingery
09-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Gary,

Just now caught your question - I don't think it's Texas ebony as I have had this stuff for about five years and think it came in a box of blocks from a place in Missouri or Lousiana. Spoed to be a mix of exotics and then domestic hardwoods. I'm sure someone who knows Ebony and Texas blackwood or what not could probably tell us.

Have a good one!

Jude

Rich Stewart
09-25-2008, 10:19 PM
My uncle has a few pieces of African Ebony. It has been carved by some tribesmen there. It looks exactly like that. The stuff is HARD as concrete. I never turned any of it, but I bet it is hard enough to break tools. Can't imagine carving it.