PDA

View Full Version : YAWP (Yet Another Wood Plane)

Mike Henderson
09-24-2008, 4:49 PM
I made this plane from a 2" Hock blade and some scrap wood I had around the shop. The body is glued up pieces of red birch and the sole is lignum vitae. I put an ebony button on the back to hit on for adjusting the blade. I also carved a flower on the wedge for decoration.

The iron is bedded at the standard 45*.

Although I didn't show any shavings, the plane works great.

Mike

George Beck
09-24-2008, 4:54 PM
Mike

You do great work! I like this plane alot. I like the carving on the wedge, a nice touch! I have long disagreed with Mr. Krenov that planes should be unfinished and a tad ugly. Nice work.

George

George Beck
09-24-2008, 5:25 PM
Here are a few old favorites I made long ago. A few have had inserts added after many flattenings. I hope you all like em

George

Mike Henderson
09-24-2008, 5:30 PM
Those look very nice, George. I especially like the shape of the dark wood one. I may steal that design!

Mike

Brian Kent
09-24-2008, 5:31 PM
Beautiful work Mike. I too like the personal touch of the carved wedge. The polish is beautiful. I just wonder about the function of that big old block of wood attached underneath the sole?????

George Moore
09-24-2008, 6:47 PM
Mike,

That is a beautiful plane and the carving really sets it off. Very classy.

George, like Mike I like the dark colored one also.

Have a Blessed day.
George

Ken Werner
09-24-2008, 7:52 PM
MIke and George B.

Really nice planes there fellows.

Mike, did you make the plane with sawn and glued back cheeks? I couldn't make out a glue line.

Ken

Mike Henderson
09-24-2008, 8:40 PM
Mike, did you make the plane with sawn and glued back cheeks? I couldn't make out a glue line.

Ken
Yep, standard Krenov plane. I made the block wide enough that I could cut the sides on the table saw instead of the band saw. That way, the inside block surfaces were glue ready.

The sides were too thick so I just ran them through the planer to get them to the thickness I wanted.

When I went looking for the bar metal to hold the wedge in place, I couldn't find any brass in the size I wanted so I had to use steel.

I want to make at least one more - a shooting plane. I've decided it will be a right hand shooter only so I want to put a "handle" on the side of the plane, similar to the "hotdog" that LN sells for their #9. But instead of a hotdog, I'll probably put something that fits into the area between your thumb and forefinger. The other fingers will go into the open area above the mouth.

But I'll also put a razee type handle on the plane so I can use it upright as well as a shooter.

At least that's my thinking right now. By the time I build it, that will probably all change.

Mike

Bill Moser
09-25-2008, 7:50 PM
Hey Mike, I thought you didn't like the look of pins showing on the side:D Very nice, the carving is a great idea, too. Is the strike button applied, or did you drill/mortise in a ways?
-bill

Mike Henderson
09-25-2008, 9:57 PM
Hey Mike, I thought you didn't like the look of pins showing on the side:D Very nice, the carving is a great idea, too. Is the strike button applied, or did you drill/mortise in a ways?
-bill
Actually, I don't like that pin showing but I took the easy way out. The strike button was turned on my lathe with a tenon - so I drilled two holes, one shallow one that was just the size of the head and one inside that hole for the tenon. The whole button is maybe 3/4" long so it goes into the plane body quite a bit.

My opinion is that I didn't drill the large hole quite deep enough - it would have looked a bit better if the button was inset a bit more. But the fit was so tight I couldn't put it in before gluing it. If I had put it in, I would not have been able to get it out or I would have done damage trying to get it out. So I took my chances, put some glue in the hole and tapped it in. Then decided it wasn't inset enough:(

Thanks for your comments!

Mike

Johnny Kleso
09-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Looks Beautiful......

Clay Thigpen
09-25-2008, 10:51 PM
That is really nice. I love the flower detail, reminds me of a dogwood flower.