PDA

View Full Version : New TS DVD

Brent Smith
09-24-2008, 1:25 PM
After reading a couple of threads about shop accidents and some on TS problems I thought I'd post this ( Moderators..... if I've over stepped a forum rule please delete with my apologies).

I just finished watching Hendrik Varju's new DVD "Revelations on
Table Saw Set-up & Safety" http://www.passionforwood.com/dvds.htm . It is by far the most complete video I've ever seen on the subject. Techniques and set-up steps that are barely brushed over in other videos are explained step by step by Hendrik. There are interesting tips through out and nothing is left for the viewer to ponder on how he gets from A to B as some videos tend to do.
Setting up and adjusting a right tilt cab saw, including wings and extension tables, takes up a good part of the DVD. He explains his reasons for preferring right over left tilt and makes very convincing augments for his conclusions. There is a very good section on blade selection also.
In the technique section he covers quite a few situations that might arise while using the saw and gives good advise on how to handle them.
Safety is the paramount lesson from this DVD. Hendrik goes into detail on how to safely make many cuts and mentions a few he wouldn't make using a TS.
Like his first DVD on Jointers and Planers, this one leaves the viewer with very few questions at the end. Neither are inexpensive, but the quantity and quality of information on them far surpasses the usual video fare. I've been working wood for more than 30 years and there were eye openers for me on this DVD.
For a beginner I would unhesitatingly recommend this DVD. It would probably save a few accidents or close calls even for the more experienced.

No affiliation....just think it's a very well done tutorial

John Browne
09-26-2008, 12:45 AM
What does he like about right tilt? Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be a better idea than left tilt, because the fence would always be calibrated correctly. Seems like the only place you'd lose out would be cutting bevels on wide workpieces, but I do that with my TS-55 anyway.