PDA

View Full Version : Kreg Bandsaw Fence on Minimax bandsaw?

Chris Padilla
09-24-2008, 12:44 PM
So has anyone slapped a nifty Kreg Precision Bandsaw Fence on a Minimax bandsaw? I have the 20" model and it could use an upgrade to the fence.

From what I've gleaned reading reviews online, I'm sure it could be easily fitted but just wondered if any of the collective have done it already.

Cheers!

Jacob Dahn
09-24-2008, 1:54 PM
Chris,

I have put a kreg on my MM16. Seems to work well. When I get home tonight I may be able to attach a couple pictures. If I remember correctly I had to make some simple adapter pieces to use the factory mounting holes. Did you have any specific quesitons?

It seems to work pretty well, but I really haven't used it much since my family grew in size. More time with the kid than the shop.

Thanks,

Jake

Scott Loven
09-24-2008, 2:07 PM
It does fit but you will need to remove the mounting rail to change the blade according to Kregs web site (http://www.kregtool.com/ProfitEdge_assets/BandSawFenceCompatibility.pdf).
Scott

Walt Caza
09-24-2008, 2:13 PM
Hi Chris,
I have a Kreg fence waiting on a shelf.
So far, I have found my original MM16 fence works alright.
I wanted to get to know the factory fence before I mounted the blue fence.
That should give me a better frame of reference to evaluate both.

I will be watching this thread to see what others have to say on the matter.
be well,
Walt

ps Please let us know how it works out for you...

Chris Padilla
09-24-2008, 5:24 PM
As Scott stated, and as a rep from Kreg told me, you have to remove the rail in order to change blades. I didn't see that info on the site but I didn't really look for it either. Looks like I'll be ordering one up!! K~E~W~L

Jacob Dahn
09-24-2008, 9:18 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=97490&stc=1&d=1222304823Chris,

I am able to keep the fence mounted and change blades. All you need to build are a couple of very simple mounting plates/adapters.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=97483&stc=1&d=1222303916

The downside is that the fence is mounted a little forward as can be seen in picture 2
I have not noticed this to be an issue, but some may

third picture is a view from the front, just for persective
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=97491&stc=1&d=1222304823

Last picture is of the fence rail I am using for my 14" delta bandsaw. It is a "mule" brand http://www.mulecab.com/bandsaw.html This is built more stoutly and around the same price.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=97492&stc=1&d=1222304847
I have both these fences because i found them as "smokin' deals" in a closeout section at a Rockler store. Both have served their purpose well, but if I were to be starting over the mule would be on the MM for sure. Hopefully I haven't provided unwanted advice.

Good luck, I am sure you will be happy with any purchase you make, the factory fence is really lacking.

Jake

richard poitras
09-24-2008, 9:36 PM
I don’t have one but have seen one on a blog (looks cool) and they get good reviews from what I have read …I am talking about an aftermarket Laguna Drift Master fence. I know they have them for most saws out now, but they are not cheap..

Ben Rafael
09-25-2008, 10:18 AM
What makes the Kreg fence better than the stock Minimax fence?

Chris Padilla
09-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Ben,

I see a couple of things:

(1) The Kreg will glide more smoothly thus making minor adjustment easier
(2) The Kreg allows attachments to the fence like resaw guides, taller fence, etc to be made more easily.
(3) Kreg's fence can "lay down" for a really short-height fence

Chris Padilla
09-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Jacob,

Awesome! Thanks so much for the pics...very helpful and precisely what I was looking for.

As long as the fence can be locked down positively and not move, all sorts of auxiliary fences can be attached to it and that was my main goal. I agree that the Mule looks beefier for sure but both allow attachments. I, of course, say all this because I already placed an order for the Kreg!! haha They are about the same cost.

Is that a MM16 or MM20 you have there?

Scott Loven
09-25-2008, 11:36 AM
It looks like you could cut the mounting rail into two pieces and bolt each piece to the table and not need to remove it when you change blades. Anyone ever try this?
Scott

Chris Padilla
09-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Scott,

I'll look into that. To extend your idea a bit, perhaps just the "offending piece of rail" could be removed and not the whole rail? However, I'm not sure that buys you much...you still have to unbolt something...or maybe a quick-release could be fashioned? I don't change my blades all that often on my bandsaw so this may not be a big deal.

Jacob Dahn
09-25-2008, 6:38 PM
Chris,

you must have missed it in my prior post. If you space the fence rail about 1&1/2" from the table top using custom adapter blocks the fence rail can be mounted just on the left side of the table. The allows the blade to be removed through the slit in the table and around the right side of the rail.

The adapter blocks are the white colored aluminum pieces.

Hopefully this clears it up. I would never have put the fence on if I would have had to unbolt it to change blades.

Jake

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=97534&stc=1&d=1222382141

Ken Garlock
09-25-2008, 6:47 PM
and order the Laguna fence. :eek: Just drill a couple holes in the edge of the saw table and you are off and running. :D Take a look at the movie on the Laguna site....

Louis Rucci
09-25-2008, 11:17 PM
I have an MM16 and this is the kind of information I love to get. Thanks for asking the question, and the great reply's to Chris.

Chris Padilla
09-29-2008, 12:40 PM
So I ordered the Kreg fence Thursday from Amazon (thorugh SMC so hopefully they get a little cut) and it was delivered Saturday! A HUGE box was on the porch and the fence was inside. Cool...got to install it this weekend. I wasn't expected it to show so quickly. :D

Well, I don't have any pics but I shall take some. I went ahead and used the existing mounts on my MM20. I understand perfectly, Jacob, what you did but I didn't have any handy flat metal bar laying around. One thing I had to do was pick up some LONGER bolts to mount into the BS's top and a few extra washers to lower the fence over the stock one. My BS was tapped with M12 x 1.75 (coarse, maybe it was 1.5?) pitch threads. I bought 40 mm long bolts and some M12 washers and it all worked fine.

Next was to drill some holes into the fence rail and bolt those up and that was about it. It went pretty quickly. The rail is aluminum and so it is very easy to drill.

Perhaps in the future I may replace the factory extensions and replace them with longer ones to faciliate blade removal as Jacob has done.

I did a nice clean up of my cast iron top, waxed it, and now the fence glides very nicely across it and some resawing of a 2x4 went very nicely. The real test will come on my 10" wide slab of walnut.

Don Abele
09-29-2008, 5:50 PM
Well, I don't have any pics but I shall take some.

<shaking head> Chris, Chris, Chris...for shame...if the pic police were to see this...

Is it that you are afraid we'll see that you have the famous curtain back up???

Anyway...I'm looking at getting the MM16 once I get moved to Virginia (next Spring/Summer). I read why you said you upgraded - was the stock fence really that bad? Is your MM20 fence the same as the one on the MM16? In the video it appears to be an excellent fence.

Once you have a chance to compare it with the stock, please let us know your thoughts.

Oh...and you should really get some pics some we know it happened for real :p

Be well,

Doc

Steve Clardy
09-29-2008, 6:27 PM
Yep. Never happened.

Need-em pics :p:D

Chris Padilla
09-29-2008, 6:43 PM
I just knew y'all would bust my chops over the lack of pics. I'm usually pretty good about doing it but for some odd reason, I didn't do it.

Doc, one bad thing about the stock fence: not really set up for attachments. The Kreg will be a breeze to install a nice tall fence on plus it glides along very nicely. I do believe the MM16 and MM20 get the same size fence.

I'll post some pics! :)

Don Abele
09-29-2008, 6:59 PM
Chris, I'm going to use mine primarily for resawing, so the tall, solid cast-iron fence seems like a plus. Any comments?

Be well,

Doc

(BTW - STILL don't see any evidence that this so-called upgrade with a supposedly purchased Kreg fence ever took place). :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2008, 7:01 PM
Doc,

I have done a little resawing with mine and it performed well.

Steve Clardy
09-29-2008, 7:01 PM
17 minutes since his last post and still no pics :p

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2008, 7:03 PM
As far as Chris is concerned....and the lack of photos....he's probably shy after I brought up the photo of his curtains again...........He'll probably spend days analyzing a photo to make sure there is nothing there that can be held against him and then he'll post.:rolleyes:

Steve Clardy
09-29-2008, 7:05 PM
As far as Chris is concerned....and the lack of photos....he's probably shy after I brought up the photo of his curtains again...........He'll probably spend days analyzing a photo to make sure there is nothing there that can be held against him and then he'll post.:rolleyes:

Guess I'll have to call mom again. :p:D

Chris Padilla
10-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Guess I'll have to call mom again. :p:D

Now don't go riling Ma all up again!! :mad: It took months to calm her down after the last incident.... :o

How do these do fer ya? :D

Steve Clardy
10-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Alright..........
Looks like a nice easy installation Chris :D

I'll cancel my call ;)

Chris Padilla
10-01-2008, 3:44 PM
Chris, I'm going to use mine primarily for resawing, so the tall, solid cast-iron fence seems like a plus. Any comments?

Be well,

Doc

(BTW - STILL don't see any evidence that this so-called upgrade with a supposedly purchased Kreg fence ever took place). :D

Doc,

I posted a pic with my MM fence next to the Kreg fence. Certainly, the MM is larger and heavier but it isn't easy to fine adjust and adding attachments is tougher.

dirk martin
10-06-2008, 2:59 AM
I went with the Laguna Drift Master fence on my MM24, and have never been happier.

-dirk
www.thinboards.com

Gregg Feldstone
10-06-2008, 4:28 AM
Chris, go to Laguna Tools website and check out the Driftmaster fence they make. It's pricier than the Kreg but seems more substantial and easier to attach. They even have a video of the fence being attached to a minimax bandsaw. I'm thinking of one for my Agazzani.