PDA

View Full Version : shortening wood stool

peter kolb
05-13-2004, 8:48 PM
I have a four leg wood stool that the legs are splayed (angled) in two
directions. I would like to shorten the legs. How do I do this?
Thanks for your help --peter in nj

Mark Stutz
05-13-2004, 9:00 PM
Peter,
Let me start by welcoming you to the Creek. This is really a great place to learn. Lots of nice people. Probably a lot more experienced people out there, but I'll chime in. Cut a samll block of wood the height that you want to shorten the legs, and tape a pencil to the top. Set the stool on a flat surface such as your tablesaw, and scribe the line around all four legs. The line will maintain the angle since you are referencing off a flat surface. The use whatever method to cut the legs that you prefer. I would use a hand saw as I wouldn't feel comfortable doing this on a TS.
Hope this isn't "clear as mud"!!

Mark

I just realized that the height to be shortened should be the total of the block plus pencil.

Jim Ketron
05-13-2004, 9:42 PM
I do it the way Mark does it It works for me

Thats a good way to level it if you have a chair that has a leg shorter than the others too.

Welcome to the forum Peter
Jim

Todd Burch
05-13-2004, 9:53 PM
Ah, yes, the above procedure is a great one. But, Peter never said what end he wants to shorten.......... You guys just assume the bottom... HAR HAR HA!!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Welcome Peter! I am a newbee myself. Found this place a couple of months ago and felt at home. Lots of neat people ready to ask for and give tips and advice! Just one thing.......we like pictures! :D

Mark Stutz
05-14-2004, 5:57 PM
Ah, yes, the above procedure is a great one. But, Peter never said what end he wants to shorten.......... You guys just assume the bottom... HAR HAR HA!!

OK, Todd, I did make an assumption ;) Now, how does one shorten the "other end" :confused: :confused: :D

Mark

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 6:55 PM
Yes, but you guys didn't metion how to get the stool dead flat again after the little bit of mistake that may happen from cutting the 4 legs! :)

After cutting the legs and determining if it rocks, you'll want a flat surface that all 4 legs sit on. Under each leg, place some sandpaper and stick it to the surface. Now sand the four legs by moving the chair back and forth over the stuck sandpaper. This should level the 4 legs to each other. Basically, you want to sand the tall legs to match the short legs.

Tom Scott
05-14-2004, 7:57 PM
Usually the legs on my projects end up shorter just from trying to level them...a little here, a little there, and wham-o, they're shorter than planned.

Tom

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 8:14 PM
Tom, you need to level them all at the same time.

Dave Richards
05-15-2004, 7:42 AM
Welcome Peter.

These guys are all skilled woodworkers. The methods they're talking about should work. If I was doing it, I'd save myself some time and just cut the legs off at the seat. That's where I'd end up anyway trying to adjust the legs a little at a time. :p

peter kolb
05-15-2004, 7:57 PM
Thank you all for your help and welcoming me to your group.
peter in nj