PDA

View Full Version : Titanium

Greg Sloan
09-24-2008, 9:42 AM
Hi everyone,

Quick question, Has anyone ever engraved on Titanium? If so at what power and speed?:confused:

James Stokes
09-24-2008, 11:06 AM
I have engraved quite a lot of it. I use the same settings as stainless steel.

Rodne Gold
09-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Us too , cerdek/thermark/whatever and the same speed as SS. We mark a lot of artifical hip joints , sockets , pins , hospital equiment, surgical scales etc.

Greg Sloan
09-24-2008, 11:38 AM
Thanks guys for your response. I was afraid I was going to need to use cermark. I don't really like using it.

Thanks again,

Brian Robison
09-24-2008, 12:34 PM
You can actually run faster on titanium than you can on stainless.

Gary Hair
09-24-2008, 1:18 PM
Thanks guys for your response. I was afraid I was going to need to use cermark. I don't really like using it.

Thanks again,

What problems have you had with Cermark? I'm curious because I have had great success with it and really look forward to jobs I can use it on. I have used it enough that it's not an unknown anymore, it's pretty reliable for me.

Gary

Greg Sloan
09-24-2008, 2:03 PM
Gary,

I probably just haven't used it enough. So sometimes the engraving just does not come out completely. To thin or heavy. I guess I just need to practice more. What I was going to do, the customer opted for a black laser plaque to be placed on the titanium.

Thanks,

Gary Hair
09-24-2008, 4:19 PM
Gary,

I probably just haven't used it enough. So sometimes the engraving just does not come out completely. To thin or heavy. I guess I just need to practice more. What I was going to do, the customer opted for a black laser plaque to be placed on the titanium.

Thanks,

Greg,
I always use an airbrush to apply cermark. This way I am assured of a very consistent layer of cermark. If you are brushing it on you will NEVER get consistent results, it's just too hard to brush evenly. Plus, the layer you need is so thin you just can't get that with a brush. I also do a test grid on any new material, or a different thickness of the same, and that gives me the optimal settings.

Between airbrushing and a test grid, I can almost guarantee that I'll get near-perfect results.

Gary