PDA

View Full Version : another one hooked

Mike Golka
09-23-2008, 11:07 PM
My daughter-in-law’s step Dad asked if he could come and use my shop to make a bowl for his Wife's birthday. I said sure, what ya got in mind. Well turns out he fancies the segmented stuff. He hasn't turned since he was a kid and never done any segmented work so it was the blind leading the blind. :eek:I think he did a great job for his first effort although I wasn't sure about his choice of woods, aromatic cedar and sycamore. They sure looked great in the finished product. Pictures are poor, had to snap quick as he was leaving. Bowl is about 10" x 4" no finish yet. He's already asking if he can come and do another.:D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Misery loves company......so do turners!

Richard Madison
09-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Mike,
Can't say that I like the foot, but otherwise looks pretty good. Hope you can get a better picture to show us. Interesting combination of woods.

Nathan Hawkes
09-24-2008, 1:52 AM
Boy, who would've thought to combine sycamore and cedar?! They complement each other surprisingly well. I'd like to see pics of it after its finished, too, if you can. I've never tried a segmented bowl, mostly b/c I don't have the patience to cut all those pieces. (and because my tablesaw extension table doubles as my miter stand and a workbench, and finish table, etc. etc. ........)

Steve Schlumpf
09-24-2008, 8:42 AM
You guys did pretty good on the bowl! While I am not sure about the wood combo - I really do like the form! The foot works - for me - as it goes well with the slight ogee curve. Nice work! I can see why the step-dad would want to come over and turn some more! Have fun!

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2008, 8:42 AM
Great looking piece. I am not sure about the foot but otherwise is well done.

Nancy Laird
09-24-2008, 9:22 AM
Mike, I like the foot on this bowl. It looks much like the old silver Revere bowls in form. I know the sycamore turns well; how about the cedar?

And congrats on drawing another one into the vortex!

Walt Nollan
09-24-2008, 9:24 AM
Wish I started out that good. Nice work.