PDA

View Full Version : Genie Bottle

Mike Golka
09-23-2008, 10:46 PM
This is my latest segmented effort. It's 10" tall by 6.75" wide. Oak, ash, and purpleheart. Inspired by Kevin Neelley's work (LOML saw his on his site and said "can you do that?").:eek::rolleyes: My skills are no where close to Kevin's but I'll keep trying. As always coments and critiques welcome.

Richard Madison
09-23-2008, 11:24 PM
Very nice Mike! Looks like good joints, good alignment, great choice of woods, and cool design. I'm impressed. Now where did I put that last piece of purpleheart?

Curt Fuller
09-23-2008, 11:30 PM
That's incredible. I really like it.

Gary Herrmann
09-23-2008, 11:32 PM
That is very well done, Mike. You need someone reaching into the pic in an Air Force uniform to open the top tho...

Jim Underwood
09-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Very cool! I'm not usually fond of segmented turnings, but this one is a winner. I like the way the contrasting values on the large diameter give the illusion of being a series of bulges around the perimeter.

Don Carter
09-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Now that is cool!! I love it. Does it come with a genie?

Greg Ketell
09-24-2008, 1:20 AM
Man I love that. The first photo looks like the "big ring" is really 3D with the white sections (ash?) bulging out but the second photo shows it all to be a trick of your clever segmentation. Awesome!!

GK

Steve Schlumpf
09-24-2008, 8:38 AM
Mike - this is a pretty cool turning! Great design and like the others have already stated - really like the optical effects! Very nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2008, 8:41 AM
Mike that is a great piece and great design.

Art Mulder
09-24-2008, 8:50 AM
I like the way the contrasting values on the large diameter give the illusion of being a series of bulges around the perimeter.

Yes! Exactly what I was thinking.

In the first picture, though, I wonder about the oak(?) in the stopper. All the other grain is quite straight, but then you have those two pieces with very circular grain.

But yeah, that is a minor comment. This is gorgeous. But you know you're going to get all kinds of genie comments. Is your wife sure she is prepared for that? :p

Walt Nollan
09-24-2008, 9:21 AM
Very Nice! I like it!

Cyril Griesbach
09-24-2008, 9:54 AM
I'm not much of a segmented fan but this one is a real eye catcher. I really like it.

Bob Hallowell
09-24-2008, 1:03 PM
That's some awesome work, good job!

Bob

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-24-2008, 2:21 PM
Mike, I wouldn't short-sell your segmenting skills - very nice job.

Dave Torro
09-24-2008, 2:50 PM
WOW! Just Beautiful!

Joyce Baldauf
09-24-2008, 3:56 PM
but you would never catch me doing one. I just don't have the skill, and even if I did, I don't have the patience. I really admire those who do segmented turning and this one had me going crazy with the optical illusion created in the large ring. Man, that is amazing!:D

Can you tell I really love it?

Mike Golka
09-24-2008, 8:46 PM
Thank you all for your very kind words. I am still trying to perfect many aspects of segmenting as well as my turning skills in general. I have loved wood working for years but have found new pleasures at the lathe. I started turning just over a year ago after really noticing segmented work while on a holiday to the east coast. Until then I had never seen any of this type of work up close and personal. Since then and thanks to this forum and members like Malcolm I have become somewhat possessed with segmented work.:o Even when I'm turning solid pieces I find myself thinking about another segmented piece.:rolleyes: I attribute much of my desire to expand my horizons to the constant encouragement dispensed here at the Creek. Again, from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU all.:D

Allen Neighbors
09-24-2008, 9:44 PM
I admire your perseverance. Well done!

John Shuk
09-24-2008, 9:58 PM
That is a fantastic piece. The segments are so cleverly done. I could never envision the parts making up the whole.

Brian Effinger
09-24-2008, 11:37 PM
Well Mike, I normally do like segmented work :D, and your piece is an example of why I do. Your choice of contrasting woods is great. Does the piece open, and if so at what point?

Mike Golka
09-25-2008, 8:59 AM
Thanks Brian, yes it opens. The segmented ball at the top is actualy the stopper.

Brian Effinger
09-25-2008, 9:32 PM
Thanks for the reply, Mike. That's cool that it opens like an old bottle. I was just looking at it again (because I like it so much), and I did think of one critique. The ash in the largest ring is a little distracting because the ovals of grain don't line up. This is just minor nitpicking, but I think it would kick this piece up a notch if they were all lined up.

Richard Madison
09-25-2008, 9:50 PM
It's that darn non-homogenous wood that keeps messing things up.

Mike Golka
09-26-2008, 9:58 AM
Brian if I could do that I could also live inside that bottle:eek:. Unfortunately nature is not that structured:( well maybe thats a good thing:D. In order for the ovals to line up the grain would have to be consistent as in growth rings all the same thickness throughout the entire board. Even a few thousanths of an inch changes the diameter, shape, and placement of the resulting ovals when you intersect the grain with a curve. The grain in a board is also curved by natural design componding things even further.:confused:

Mike Ramsey
09-26-2008, 10:33 AM
Wow! is right, now rub it & see if Barbara Eden pops out!

Jim Becker
09-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Nice. The staved segmentation works very nicely on this project!

Jim Watkins
09-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Mike,
Do you have any photos of your glue up in progress for us rookies to learn from? :D

Mike Golka
09-26-2008, 1:23 PM
Jim I didn't take any pics while doing the actual glueup but I did use Sketchup to help design the main ring, you know angles, size all that good stuff. The rest of the rings are just regular segments or staves with contrasting wood strips between them. If you don't already have it I sugest getting Malcolm Tibbetts "The Art of Segmented Woodturning". It is my bible when it comes to segmenting. Any way here is the Sketchup drawing I used to design the ring.

Jim Watkins
09-26-2008, 3:37 PM
Thanks for sharing Mike. I'll check it out when I get home this evening. I was checking out Malcom's site and was quite fasciniated with the work both he and you have done.

Outstanding work.

Grant Wilkinson
09-26-2008, 6:53 PM
Mike: I've not seen Kevin's work, but he would have to go some to better this.