PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal for a grizzly lathe

Radek Kowalski
09-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I am not sure what model number it is, but here is what I know.

It is very similar to the G0584 from what I know execpt it has a steel frame. 13" swing, 42" span. extra face plates, chisles, extra motor.

Is $250 a good price? I was thinking about one of those for 200 that is 10x20 span but if I can have this for not to much more.

Thanks for your time.

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
09-23-2008, 10:32 PM
I have heard a lot of good things about Griz tools....EXCEPT..to stay away from the lathes.

I have the Jet 1220. and have loved it. You might post this question over in the "Vortex" where the turners live.

Dr. R..

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2008, 10:44 PM
Radek,

With your permission, I"ll move this over to the Turners Forum where you can get some advice from folks who may have tried Grizzley lathes.

Radek Kowalski
09-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Sure, that would be great. Thanks.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Radek,

I went to the Grizzly site and checked out the G0584. The problems I see with it.

1. Reeves drive. While a lot of folks use them or have used them, they will require some maintenance.

2. The articulated tool rest. I would be afraid that it would tend to break if you got a really bad catch.

Grizzly makes some fine tools for the money but they aren't known to have a really good lathe.

While they are more than $250 you quote, Jet, Delta, PM and other manufacturers produce better designed lathes IMHO.

While in the market for a lathe used or new, make sure it uses a #2 Morse taper so the accessories...live center etc., are useable on another lathe should you decide you want to upgrade. I upgraded from a Jet Mini VS to a PM3520B. I was able to use the same chuck by changing inserts, the same drive center kit, my on-the-lathe buffing system, my jacobs chuck because the folks who gifted me with the lathe were smart enough to buy me one that had a #2 Morse taper. Saved me some bucks and that's where the money is in turning. The "other things" you need is what really hits you wallet.