PDA

View Full Version : New Bandsaw

John Bailey
09-23-2008, 9:37 PM
I'm looking to buy a new band saw in the next 6 months or so. Just wondering if anyone's heard anything about new models coming out. I heard some talk about new Grizzly models. Has anybody heard of these, or others. I'll be looking in the 17" to 21" range.

Thanks, John

Dave Lehnert
09-23-2008, 9:50 PM
I am trying REAL HARD not to spend the $$$$ on a new bandsaw. You are not helping. :D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2008, 10:52 PM
I just have one word to say...... Mini-Max.

I'm in love with mine!

4.8 hp......16" resaw.....built like a tank.

John Hedges
09-23-2008, 11:12 PM
I'm looking to buy a new band saw in the next 6 months or so. Just wondering if anyone's heard anything about new models coming out. I heard some talk about new Grizzly models. Has anybody heard of these, or others. I'll be looking in the 17" to 21" range.

Thanks, John

Depends on how much your looking to spend and what your planning on doing with it. As Ken said it's hard to beat the Italian saws (Agazzani, Mini Max, etc.) but they are pricey.

Peter Quadarella
09-23-2008, 11:42 PM
John, I saw the new Grizzly B series bandsaws, like G0513X2B (there was a 14 version, etc), at the IWF show. They have a little bit taller and nicer fence, and an automatic brake that activates each time you shut the power. I think they were a couple hundred more than the regular type.

John Bailey
09-24-2008, 6:26 AM
Depends on how much your looking to spend and what your planning on doing with it. As Ken said it's hard to beat the Italian saws (Agazzani, Mini Max, etc.) but they are pricey.

Good point! I use my band saw for everything. It's my go-to machine. Swing is more important to me than re-saw. My most recent band saw was a vintage Delta 14" without a riser. I never even used the 6" re-saw capacity on that, but, almost daily I wished I had more swing. Also, it's very important that the miter be accurate as I cross cut a lot with it.

Realistically I'm looking at the Grizzly, PM, Delta, Jet prices. Although I said I'd be buying in the next 6 mos., or so, and the closer to 6 months I get, the more I may be looking at the Italian machines. Everything I work on has curves. Boats, paddles, kayaks, mountain dulcimer and the like. And, I just like using a band saw.

John

John Bailey
09-24-2008, 6:27 AM
John, I saw the new Grizzly B series bandsaws, like G0513X2B (there was a 14 version, etc), at the IWF show. They have a little bit taller and nicer fence, and an automatic brake that activates each time you shut the power. I think they were a couple hundred more than the regular type.

Any idea where I could get some info on the "B" version.

John

Cary Falk
09-24-2008, 7:38 AM
I am trying REAL HARD not to spend the $$$$ on a new bandsaw. You are not helping. :D

Not helping me either. I am trying to resist upgrading to a G0513x2.:mad:

Jeffrey Makiel
09-24-2008, 7:54 AM
Good point! I use my band saw for everything. It's my go-to machine. Swing is more important to me than re-saw.

John...I share the same thoughts.

Swing (or throat) is important to me because I too like to use my bandsaw for ripping difficult materials like bowed sheet goods or plexiglass/acrylic. My need for a resaw capacity greater than 6" or 7" is pretty uncommon. I'm also finding that wider boards are becoming more rare at the lumber yard and have a premium cost. I'm also cautious about the stability of modern day wide boards.

Right now, I have an old 18 bandsaw which replaced a 14" bandsaw 20 years ago. I would not want to have any less swing. The Grizzly 19" and 21" models would be what I'd look at if I were looking to upgrade again. They seem to have a lot of swing capacity for the buck too.

-Jeff :)

Jeffrey Makiel
09-24-2008, 7:59 AM

With the current horrors going on in the the banking industry today, CNN financial analysts are recommending that you re-invest your money into bandsaws. :)

Just nudging you a little more,
-Jeff :)

Anthony Whitesell
09-24-2008, 8:17 AM
Ditto on that. I would love to see a bandsaw with an 8-10" height and a 18-24" throat. I think it would actually look a little funny (short and wide) in the shop.

I don't think I'll ever resaw much more than 12", but certainly more than 6". The throat will never be large enough. I know that I'll want rip pieces wider than whatever size saw I purchase.

Peter Quadarella
09-24-2008, 8:32 AM
I haven't seen any further information about the B series since I left the show. There was also a model with an optional cast iron extension table. It was very nice. I think it was either the G0636X or the G0531; I forget, but it was a great idea and I hope they make it available for all their models in the future. The table attached where the pin usually is, with 2 bolts and a single leg down to the floor.

Grizzly is great value for money. Unless you are going to spend the money on a European saw, they are a great choice. Here's a comparison chart fr their models:
http://www.grizzly.com/images/pdf/Grizzly_BandsawComparisonChart.pdf

John Hedges
09-24-2008, 8:58 AM
Good point! I use my band saw for everything. It's my go-to machine. Swing is more important to me than re-saw. My most recent band saw was a vintage Delta 14" without a riser. I never even used the 6" re-saw capacity on that, but, almost daily I wished I had more swing. Also, it's very important that the miter be accurate as I cross cut a lot with it.

Realistically I'm looking at the Grizzly, PM, Delta, Jet prices. Although I said I'd be buying in the next 6 mos., or so, and the closer to 6 months I get, the more I may be looking at the Italian machines. Everything I work on has curves. Boats, paddles, kayaks, mountain dulcimer and the like. And, I just like using a band saw.

John

With that said if you are inclined to an Italian machine, I would take a look at the Agazzani. They are extremely well made and just a joy to use. I have a B20 and it has more swing but less resaw than the 20" Laguna and Mini Max machines, with a slightly smaller motor, and so it is a lot less expensive, as far as Italian machines go it is a bargain. Might want to give Jesse at Eagle Tools a call, he'll give you the straight poop on the machines. They also have a special grind on the table you only find on industrial machines which removes the surface tension generated by smoothly ground cast iron. If you want to go for less machine and less $ you can certainly look at the Grizzly lineup, but if this is your everyday machine and you like to use it as much as you mentioned you will get a smile on your face every time you use the Agazzani and never regret your purchase. Sam Maloof uses a bandsaw as his go to machine also and has been using Agazzani's for years, must be a reason why.

One note is that the miter slot is metric and not a standard one (not sure about the other Italian Machines). Not a big deal for most that use a bandsaw for mainly resaw. I got a heavy duty miter gauge to fit the Agazzani when I ordered mine and it works wonderfully, but if there are other jigs you plan to use in the slot you should be aware of this difference. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Joe Mioux
09-24-2008, 9:23 AM
Hi John,

Since resaw isn't as important as swing and you are "window shopping" the Italian brands, take a look at the MM S45.

It's less expensive than the mm16, but has 18 inch wheels. Resaw, i think is 12 inches, but the throat is deeper than the mm16.

joe

Nancy Laird
09-24-2008, 9:28 AM
John, don't discount the 18 or 20" Steel City units. Both have deep resaw capacity and both have foot brakes. Both are less expensive than the Italian brands.

John Bailey
09-24-2008, 5:25 PM
John, don't discount the 18 or 20" Steel City units. Both have deep resaw capacity and both have foot brakes. Both are less expensive than the Italian brands.

Thanks Nancy,

I keep forgetting about Steel City because I've never been to a place that carries them. I guess I need to get out more. I'll show my ignorance here, but it seems I've heard they may have a granite table. Do you know if that's right?

John

Nancy Laird
09-24-2008, 6:17 PM
Yes, John, one of their models has a granite table, but I'm not sure which one it is. Sending you a PM.

Mike Wilkins
09-25-2008, 10:14 AM
Satisfied owner and user of a Laguna LT18 since 2001. Lots of power, capacity & throat depth. No problems with it at all. I got mine before the ceramic guides became standard; however, I did get the upgrade kit. A great improvement, but kind of a detailed set-up process.
Laguna also has several 14" and 16" models with 12" resaw height, with ample power and throat capacity.
I have also seen Jet and Steel City machines with nice features. You will not regret getting some serious iron.
Stay safe and watch those fingers.