PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Bowl

mike fuson
09-23-2008, 8:30 PM
Got to love the wood. This one is about 17'' wide. Shellawax finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/bowls/boxbowlface.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/bowls/boxbowltop.jpg

earl timmons
09-23-2008, 9:21 PM
Mike first and most important I like the bowl, very nicely done. Second is a question. I know Boxelder can often have some beautiful red coloration but this is the first time I have seen the red and what looks to be the ambrosia affect in box elder. Is this common have you or anyone else seen this before. I gotta find some of that.

Tim A. Mitchell
09-23-2008, 9:24 PM
Very nice piece of wood, and you did a great job showing it off.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-23-2008, 9:42 PM
Very nice Bowl Mike, and very handsome wood, but most important is the good shape, it is what stays when all the colors turn to brown, very well done ;-))

mike fuson
09-23-2008, 9:49 PM
Mike first and most important I like the bowl, very nicely done. Second is a question. I know Boxelder can often have some beautiful red coloration but this is the first time I have seen the red and what looks to be the ambrosia affect in box elder. Is this common have you or anyone else seen this before. I gotta find some of that.

The bug turns box elder red and maple black or brown. This tree was eat up with it. The other hf I just posted was a piece I found on the side of the road, and it did have some in it too, so yes its pretty common.

John Nowack
09-23-2008, 9:54 PM
I think that the thickness of the bowl really adds to the character

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Wow! Now that's nice! Love the size, the form and of course, the wood! Really pretty bowl and all the worm holes sure add to the charactor!

Mike Golka
09-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Wow! nice looking bowl.

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2008, 8:43 AM
I really like this bowl Mike. Great form and great wood.

Nancy Laird
09-24-2008, 9:17 AM
Mike, every once in a while I open a post of a new turned piece and it just grabs me so that all I can say is "Oooooh." I LOVE this piece!! The form is classic and the wood just hollers "touch me!!." This has gone into my favorites!

Benjamin Dahl
09-24-2008, 9:21 AM
Mike, i really like everything about this bowl. great job.
Ben

Cyril Griesbach
09-24-2008, 9:52 AM
As I've watched this forum I've seen lots of bowls, many of them dog dish forms, but few with a continuous curve. This one is excellent and the wood makes it even better. Very nicely done.

Dave Noon
09-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Great looking bowl Mike. Love the shape.
I always have trouble with tear out on Box Elder. Do you usually have a problem with it?
I prepped around 18 bowl blanks on the weekend ranging from 6" to 18" diameter. So at some point I'll be turning some.
Dave.

Clara Koss
09-24-2008, 12:53 PM
great great great....the little holes look like secret codes...your stuff r;)cks...