PDA

View Full Version : A Wenzloff is "in da house"

Jim Becker
09-23-2008, 7:59 PM
Thanks to the generosity of Rob Lee with his recent "free shipping" incentive :rolleyes:...a Wenzloff & Sons small tenon saw joined my Neander stable today. I've been "making do" with my Adria dovetail saw even for small cross cuts and wanted something more appropriate.

Well, not only is this a very nice tool in size, weight and feel, it's also a work of art, IMHO. The detailing on the handle is just plain beautiful. I can't wait to put this tool to work on my next project!

Oh, it's worth mentioning that Mike has a saw featured in the latest issue of This Old House Magazine, too. (October 2008, page 56) There's a picture and description of his Heirloom saw.

Johnny Kleso
09-23-2008, 9:03 PM
Mike's family does some fine work

Gary Herrmann
09-23-2008, 9:10 PM
One of these days, I'm gonna pony up and buy a pair from Mike.

Oh, and Jim? You suck. ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2008, 9:16 PM
Jim....nice piece of art! You collector, you.....

gary Zimmel
09-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Sweet looking saw Jim....

Now that would make a great addition to any stable.

Mike K Wenzloff
09-24-2008, 12:23 AM
Thank you for the very kind words, Jim (and everyone else).

I'll pass them along to everyone at the shop.

Take care, Mike

Alan DuBoff
09-24-2008, 1:32 AM
Can't go wrong with a W&S saw, good choice!

Ray Gardiner
09-24-2008, 3:46 AM
Hi Jim,

Just beautiful saws, I don't think there is a better saw made anywhere. You should have many years of reliable service ahead.

And, something to pass on to the next generation.

Regards
Ray

Richard Magbanua
09-24-2008, 8:44 AM
Jim,
That's a beaut'! When did you place your order? I heard there was a waiting list to get one of his saws. It's a list I am looking forward to being on someday.

Jack Camillo
09-24-2008, 2:17 PM
you lucky dawg, you. it's a keeper for sure.

Bruce Page
09-24-2008, 2:35 PM
A practical work of art. It doesn’t get much better than that!
That handle is stunning

Mike K Wenzloff
09-24-2008, 5:00 PM
Jim,
That's a beaut'! When did you place your order? I heard there was a waiting list to get one of his saws. It's a list I am looking forward to being on someday.
Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Richard,

We have actually stopped adding people to the waiting list for direct orders for a time. We are way past being able to maintain the list properly and will in the future open it back up.

They still are available from LV, where Jim got his and The Best Things carries a line. Both places are out of stock more than in-stock. We are working to rectify the back order status for both the direct orders (main priority) and the retail sources.

Who decided 24 hours in a day was all we got, anyway?

Take care, Mike

John VanDivier
09-24-2008, 6:17 PM
A Wenzloff saw has been on my wish list for a while now. LV just pushed me with their free shipping offer. I ordered a Wenzloff dovetail saw 3 days ago and it is backordered till 9/30 from Lee Valley. Maybe the tenon version is not backordered. Anyway, can't wait to receive it. John

Mike K Wenzloff
09-24-2008, 9:48 PM
Hi John,

I don't know the back ordered status, but they just received a couple shipping boxes of the DT saws and will be getting several more boxes over the next 3 weeks. So unless they are all spoken for (sometimes the case) I suspect it won't be long.

Take care, Mike

Jim Becker
09-24-2008, 9:52 PM
Mike, it's an honor for me to have one of your fine tools in my shop now...and I promise you it's not just for looks. (despite it sitting next to me on my desk right now so I can admire it... LOL) I will never be considered a Neander woodworker, but one of my personal directives is to alway try and challenge myself with new techniques and new ways to accomplish things. Further, there are a great many times when a hand tool really is the right tool for the job at hand, as it were. I think that having a small cross-cut saw is a good investment for my shop. And most of my going forward tool acquisitions, as they are needed, will be hand tools.

Zahid Naqvi
09-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Ah! if only it had come in a couple of days earlier.

Jim Becker
09-25-2008, 8:01 AM
Ah! if only it had come in a couple of days earlier.

Actually a couple days later, Zahid...it arrived after your plane returned to Arky-land! LOL It would have been fun for you to be able to give me a few lessons in how to use it. :)