PDA

View Full Version : Lower volume exhaust blower

David Dustin
09-23-2008, 5:42 PM
Can anyone recommend a smaller, lower volume blower (we currently use a 600 cfm, 3/4 horse, mounted with very short piping).

We plan on doing some mobile setups soon and the "600 cfm" blower is overkill as we will not be doing any cutting, just mainly light engraving.

What do all those reps use at the shows?

Can anyone make a recomendation (I already searched).
Thanks,
David

Mike Mackenzie
09-23-2008, 6:34 PM
David,

At trade shows we will use self contained filter units. Not cheap however this one could work and it is not real big $$$$.

The new F1000c is there new semi low cost unit.

http://www.ipsystemsusa.com/

Doug Griffith
09-23-2008, 8:59 PM
How about an inline bilge blower as use in a boat. I've seen them 4" in diameter. They don't draw much air, run on 12 volts and are quiet. The may work for a low volume application.

Cheers

Bill Cunningham
09-23-2008, 10:18 PM
How about an inline bilge blower as use in a boat. I've seen them 4" in diameter. They don't draw much air, run on 12 volts and are quiet. The may work for a low volume application.

Cheers

Hmmm How quiet they are must depend on how big your bilge is.. Mine sounds like idling jet engine..:rolleyes: But, the bilge blower is a good idea...You can probably get a cheap one at WestMarine.. The 4" one would probably fit right on the exhaust port, and blow out a 4" cheapo flex vent line.. It helps if they can situate you by a window that you can throw the vent out..

David Dustin
09-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Actually the events we are going to in the near future are going to be outside. The problem with the existing unit is it is loud and draws a lot of amperage.
I have some super heavy duty extension cords, but with everything it draws a lot of amps.

My setup is a little unique and being a computer hardware jumky means I'll have a bunch of "stuff" with me.

I'll have my Dell XPS 2010 Notebrick and a Hp desktop to connect to the laser. I know I could just run everything with on machine by I anticipate having to maintain a pipeline.

Number 1 son will be manning Corel and the laser, I'll be taking images, editing and storing the files on our portable network...

I know, I know....I have issues

David

Doug Griffith
09-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Hmmm How quiet they are must depend on how big your bilge is.. Mine sounds like idling jet engine..:rolleyes: But, the bilge blower is a good idea...You can probably get a cheap one at WestMarine.. The 4" one would probably fit right on the exhaust port, and blow out a 4" cheapo flex vent line.. It helps if they can situate you by a window that you can throw the vent out..

I guess mine was fairly loud. I was comparing it to my dust collector which is a cheapo unit from Harbor Freight.

Jeff DeVore
09-24-2008, 10:36 AM
I wonder if an exhaust fan from a bathroom would put out enough cfm. Or if you wanted to run 12 V you could use a fan from a car heater. I used one of those once when I made a scratch built forge. There's another idea, they make 120V blowers for forges. They are reasonably quiet - until you turn on the propane. Hope this helps,Jeff.