PDA

View Full Version : Stanley #7 question

Joel Goodman
09-23-2008, 5:24 PM
I have a Type 15 #7 Stanley plane. I've added a thicker 1/8th inch blade and although the screw that hold the lever cap in holds it's got less thread into the frog and I thought I might try to find a slightly longer screw. Does anyone know whether it's a standard thread and/or what is the thread size? Otherwise I'll add some locktite to keep the present screw in.

Steve Clardy
09-23-2008, 5:54 PM
1/4x28.....

Joel Goodman
09-23-2008, 7:26 PM
Thanks. Any idea where to buy a longer one?

Steve Clardy
09-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Standard length under the head is .900
Almost an inch.
I suggest trying a hardware store. Try to find a fine thread stove bolt.
You may have to cut it to length

I'm not aware of anyone that makes a screw for your needs.

Johnny Kleso
09-24-2008, 1:30 PM
Hi Joel,

The thread is a bastard size 1/4-20
I have been thinling of making ne some blade screws also 20 TPI and while the lathe is set up I think I'm make some Lever Cap Screws as well..

PM me next week to remind me as I think I'llm forget..

Joe Vincent
09-24-2008, 7:14 PM
Hi Joel,

The thread is a bastard size 1/4-20
I have been thinling of making ne some blade screws also 20 TPI and while the lathe is set up I think I'm make some Lever Cap Screws as well..

PM me next week to remind me as I think I'llm forget..

Johnny:
I'm in the same boat on a couple of bench planes and could use one or two of those screws. Also, I have the same issue on a couple of block planes (a 65 and an 18). But I suppose the ones for block planes would still be shorter than those for a bench plane.

Mike Brady
09-24-2008, 10:43 PM
You should do that Johnny. I , along with a bunch of other folks, could use some spares. Please let me know if you make some.

Mike

Johnny Kleso
09-24-2008, 11:49 PM
Joe,
You can get screws from
http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/planes.html

The block plane screws are the same you just might have to grind them shorter to fit..

For the other folks, I am making some 5/16-20 handle studs for Millers Falls Drills for Viktor Kuc from wkFineTools.com and these two jobs will run together well
I should have then in a week or two..

I just checked a screw after I relized my thinking is out to luch once again :(

The lever cap screw is 9/32-26 NOT 1/4-20 ...

Johnny Kleso
10-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Is a LN cap inron screw the same thread as a Stanley ????????

I just started making some extra long cap iron screws..
I have a dozen that just needs the screwdriver slots to finish them..

Then it hit me if LNs fit there is no need to make any for those folks that where intrested..

Anyone own a LN plane and a Stanley that could check??

Also if someone knows that LN charges would be awesome..

Thanks

Jacob Reverb
10-08-2008, 8:35 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone tell me how you determine what "Type Number" of Stanley #7 you have?

I recently bought off ebay a Stanley-Bailey #7. The plane iron was real convex and I spent hours grinding and sharpening it, and after setting it up with a 30° bevel and 35° secondary bevel, and putting it back together, it seemed like the throat was too small (even with the frog set as far aft as possible), because the shavings quickly jammed between the front of the throat opening and the chip-breaker...so then I took a few thousandths off the front of the throat opening with a file...it would be nice to know a little more about all the variations of S-B #7 planes.

Thanks for any advice and sorry for the hijack,

Jacob.

Steve Clardy
10-08-2008, 8:35 AM
Yes they are the same.

I used a stanley screw temporarily in my LN 4.5 bronze.

Stanley screw is a tad longer than a LN screw.
LN has a bigger head.

Steve Clardy
10-08-2008, 8:40 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone tell me how you determine what "Type Number" of Stanley #7 you have?

I recently bought off ebay a Stanley-Bailey #7. The plane iron was real convex and I spent hours grinding and sharpening it, and after setting it up with a 30° bevel and 35° secondary bevel, and putting it back together, it seemed like the throat was too small (even with the frog set as far aft as possible), because the shavings quickly jammed between the front of the throat opening and the chip-breaker...so then I took a few thousandths off the front of the throat opening with a file...it would be nice to know a little more about all the variations of S-B #7 planes.

Jacob.

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan0a.html

Orlando Gonzalez
10-08-2008, 8:53 AM
Jacob try this site for dating your Stanley (no it is not on eharmony):D

http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating/start_flowchart.html

Johnny Kleso
10-08-2008, 11:30 AM

Jacob.

I have a Picturial Type Study at my website just click on my name and choose website

Johnny Kleso
10-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes they are the same.

I used a stanley screw temporarily in my LN 4.5 bronze.

Stanley screw is a tad longer than a LN screw.
LN has a bigger head.

Wow I would have thought the LN was twice as long...

Jacob Reverb
10-09-2008, 8:38 AM
Thank you all for the answers to my "hijack" question. Johnny, I went to your website (that got a bookmark for later, great stuff, as I love using hand planes) and identified my #7 as a Type 19...possibly with an earlier (angular) iron...thanks! http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/fffmain/smilies/thumbs.gif