PDA

View Full Version : Jet 1642 centers mis-alligned

Kevin Groenke
09-23-2008, 2:24 PM
We recently had to do some boring with a drill chuck in the tail stock. The drill center was ~1/8" off the center of the chuck mounted stock. Upon further examination (centers in headstock and tailstock) we've determined that the head and tail themselves are ~1/8" out of alignment. The mis-alignment seems consistent regardless of how far the ram is extended, and along the length of the bed.

A couple questions:

Anyone else have this problem with a Jet 1642?
Am I missing some adjustment mechanism? (both the head and tail "bed -interface" are machined from the solid stock)
How will we determine whether the head or the tail is the problem?
Got any advise for us?

Thanks!

I've got a call in to Jet but thought I would supplement a little SMC knowledge.

-kg

Mike Ramsey
09-23-2008, 2:44 PM
Kevin, is your lathe perfectly leveled? This is known to cause the
problem you are having. It will warp the bed if not leveled.

Don Orr
09-23-2008, 3:12 PM
I have a Jet 1642 also. There is a little play in the sliding headstock and tailstock. Try loosening the locking levers and wiggling them back and forth to see if you can get them closer to alignment. Mike's suggestion of level in all directions is important too.

Good luck, it's a great machine.

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2008, 5:08 PM
I went down to the shop just now to check my lathe out - as I haven't done that for a awhile. With the lathe level, the drive and tail aligns point to point. Unlocking the tailstock, moving it side to side and viewing by eye only, looks like no more than 1/64th inch travel, if that. So, if you are getting around 1/8" at the pins - I have to think it is a leveling problem which will absolutely cause the bed to twist.

Best of luck figuring this out. Let us know what you find!

Kevin Groenke
09-23-2008, 5:48 PM
Steve and Mike, you both and Jet tech support were right, the bed was twisted. A simple adjustment of the leveling feet brought the centers back into line. I'm quite surprised that the weight of the machine is enough to twist the bed, and that changes to the leveling feet change that twist immediately. Thanks for the help.

-kg

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2008, 6:07 PM
Kevin - glad you back to us with the fix!

You would be surprised at how many folks have the same problem - and it is almost always the same corrective action - level the lathe! Next time someone posts with that problem - you now have personal experience that will help them get back up and turning! Welcome to the club - we've all been there!

Allen Neighbors
09-23-2008, 7:15 PM
Aint this an awesome forum? :D

robert hainstock
09-23-2008, 7:34 PM
It absolutly is an awesome forum. :D:D:D

Bob

robert hainstock
09-23-2008, 7:35 PM
It absolutly is an awesome forum> :D:D:D

Bob

Jim Becker
09-23-2008, 7:47 PM
I'm quite surprised that the weight of the machine is enough to twist the bed

Kevin, cast iron bends quite easily...it's more flexible than you might think. This is one of the reasons I don't recommend that folks make their lathes mobile. My 800 pound Stubby 750 with it's huge cast iron base will bend quite easily if the base isn't properly leveled!

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2008, 7:55 PM
Kevin glad to see you got it fixed. I have to agree with all that yes the bed will flex more than you think. As Jim said about being mobile and that is why I won't make my lathe mobile.

Richard Madison
09-24-2008, 12:03 AM
OK, tomorrow September 24 is annual lathe leveling day. Mine lines up ok, but am going to check it anyhow.