PDA

View Full Version : Old Pool Table into New Assembly Table?

Dave Verstraete
09-23-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm considering building an assembly table top onto an existing pool table that doesn't get used anymore. I don't want spoil the table in any way. Has anyone done this before? I'm thinking of putting plastic over it before I start and then building up from the playing surface ( with wood blocks or torsion style grid) and then some MDF for the top.

All thoughts are appreciated!

Wayne Waag
09-23-2008, 12:10 PM
I bought a ping-pong table top for my pool table some years ago and have used it many times for assembly, painting, framing, etc. It provides a large 5 by 9 surface and rests mostly on the rails. There are only a couple of metal spacers in the middle that rest on the table surface itself. I then place a large sheet of mdf or whatever on top for an actual work surface. Works well for me.

wwaag

Paul Johnstone
09-23-2008, 1:23 PM
I'm considering building an assembly table top onto an existing pool table that doesn't get used anymore. I don't want spoil the table in any way. Has anyone done this before? I'm thinking of putting plastic over it before I start and then building up from the playing surface ( with wood blocks or torsion style grid) and then some MDF for the top.

All thoughts are appreciated!

I wouldn't risk it. Eventually you are going to get some glue or finish on the playing surface, if you work like me.

If you don't use the pool table anymore, why not sell it, so someone else can enjoy it? If you are going through all the trouble of making a torison box for the top, why not just nail 4 legs to it and make your table that way?

Dave Verstraete
09-23-2008, 1:52 PM
Paul
This is where the familial ( as in LOML ) side of the decision comes in. It seems we need to keep the pool table in case we have grandchildren someday!? After 30 years of marriage, I pick my battles wisely. Sooo...since I am keeping the pool table, I need to "convert" it to an assembly table. After 10 more years without the pool table being used, I figure that I can sneak it out in the dead of night. Or maybe I can figure out a way to make it her idea...hmmm.

Dan Gill
09-23-2008, 2:43 PM
If you make a top that totally covers the table, including aprons down the side, it should be well protected. That's going to be a BIG assembly table. And HEAVY!

Bruce Page
09-23-2008, 6:11 PM
Dave, it might be a good idea to invest in a fitted, heavy vinyl/naugahyde cover that covers the top & aprons if you don’t already have one. You could then lay the MDF sheet on top of the cover and rest easy that the table is protected. We have always kept our table covered and it still looks new after 15 years.

Ps, our older grandkids love the table.