PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Chuck

Rick Huelsbeck
09-23-2008, 9:52 AM
I've seen it said on here a number of times that the vicmarc jaws will work with the grizzly chuck (H6265 for 99.95), is that the vm100 or the vm120 jaws I will need to get? Also has anyone ever used this chuck on the jet 1236?

I want to get the 14" set of bowl jaws for it, did a bowl over the weekend and it was to big for the set of flat jaws I have :o

Bob Hampton
09-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Rick
I have the same chuck ..use it on an Hf lathe just fine ..used it on jet mini and have used it on others also as long as 1x8 threads...can't tell u much about jaws thou ...never used any others on it except what came with it

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
I have three of those grizzly chucks and like them a lot. I also have the Vicmarc VM100 and the jaws from this chuck will fit the Grizzly chuck.

Rick Huelsbeck
09-23-2008, 2:02 PM
Looks like I get to go shopping :D

Brodie Brickey
09-23-2008, 2:37 PM
Rick,

Before you run out and spend money on some jumbo jaws, you might consider this option instead:

http://www.woodezine.com/07_2004/0704_turningtidbits.html

Basically its a faceplate with plywood and a donut holds the bowl to the lathe with bolts. You can make it as big as will fit your swing or larger if you do outboard turning.
http://www.woodezine.com/07_2004/07_2004_images/Grumbine2.jpg

http://www.woodezine.com/07_2004/07_2004_images/Grumbine1.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2008, 4:05 PM
Brodie is right. I was going to get the Cole jaws but they were back ordered (best thing that happened). So I made a donut chuck thinking it would tide me over. Well I am still using the donut chuck 2 yrs. later. I have a adaptor that fits my chuck so when I unscrew the chuck and bowl from the headstock I screw it onto the adaptor. Bring up the tailstock to the piece of the donut chuck on the headstock. Bring it up tight and put in your screws the backside of the donut. Tighten and then loosen the chuck and remove it and the tailstock. You have your piece perfectly centered and can finish the bottom easily.

Gerold Griffin
09-23-2008, 7:56 PM
I got a question about that donut chuck. Do you put some kind of cushioning, like tape, on it to protect the bowl from the edges of the plywood or is it not needed? Like this idea and thanks for sharing it.

Richard Madison
09-23-2008, 11:52 PM
I use some rubber mesh packing material between the "faceplate" piece and the work, and four small pieces of rubber (cut from a floormat) between the doughnut and the workpiece. The mesh increases the coefficient of friction at that point. The four rubber spacers do the same and also prevent damage to the finish. Without them the doughnut can scratch or even dent the workpiece.

Rick Huelsbeck
09-24-2008, 9:34 AM
And I have a big piece of plywood that I didn't know what I was going to do with until now, Thanks Brodie.

Norm Zax
09-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Gerold,
A nice solution I recently saw (but havent yet tried) involves taking a clear rubber hose (like the one used for aquariums to produce bubbles, but larger in diameter). You slit the hose from end to end (not all the way through, just on one side, as if skinning a snake) and then press it around the plywood hole. If youre lucky the spring action will hold it in place. If not, nail it.
Norm

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2008, 11:19 AM
I went to wal-mart and bought some of that foam drawer liner. I used contact cement to put it on the both sides. Works slick.