PDA

View Full Version : Shop-made outfeed rollers

Mark Kelly
05-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Recently, I read about shop-made outfeed rollers that used PVC pipe for the roller. I cannot recall where I read it, whether it was on the internet or in a magazine. Does anyone have any plans or know where I can get plans for something like this? I am not sure how they mounted the PVC to the support, which is what I would need to see. Thanks!

Dennis Peacock
05-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Locate a local government junk place and purchase a bunch of old teletype rollers and use them. I got 13 of them for $1 and use some scrap plywood and held them in place with some bent electrical conduit straps. I have a complete outfeed TABLE now for $2.23........

Rob Russell
05-13-2004, 12:26 PM
A piece of closet rod with 2" wide sections of 1 1/2" or 2" PVC should work fine. The reason for 2" pieces is so you don't get the "roller effect". The RE is when a wide roller that's not perfectly square to your machine tends to push your stock to one side or the other.

Mark Kelly
05-13-2004, 12:29 PM
I was thinking of using 1 1/8" dowel mounted to a frame and a 1 1/4" PVC pipe on it. Maybe 15" long or something. Would this work?

Thanks for the hint on roller effect. I never thought of that.

Arvin Brown
05-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Try this link:

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030131ws.html

Mark Kelly
05-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Ah, yes. About as long as I wanted it too, but completely different idea on the frame. I wanted to make a frame be able to rise and fall on its own rather than using a sawhorse, but I think I can figure that out.

Thanks for the link! That helped a lot.

Steve Evans
05-14-2004, 9:26 PM
Mark

I built a table for my saw that hinges off the back rail of the saw and is supported by an over-centre link (if it's good enough for an aircraft landing gear- it's good enough for my saw)

My profile home page is a photo page with pictures of my shop. The the last five pictures in the album are pictures of the over-centre link setup

Chris Padilla
05-14-2004, 9:50 PM
Hey Steve,

Does my eye spy a coffee maker on one of your table-tops!? :) Nice outfeed roller and I like the linkage...where does one get something like that?

Steve Evans
05-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Chris

Good eye. I had to look through the pictures to see which one you meant. I use the coffee-maker to keep my tried and true finish warm when I'm using it. The outfeed table I made with the help of a neighbour who can weld a heck of a lot better than I can. The over centre link just required a whole bunch of trial and error to get the dimensions just right.