PDA

View Full Version : Marking Cast Iron Parts

Joe Jensen
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a number of parts from the jointer refurb that I need to mark. There are several that are identical. I was thinking about using hardened steel lettering punches, but I worry they could crack the cast iron. Thoughts or experience?

David G Baker
09-22-2008, 11:49 PM
You can use one of those property markers that plug in and vibrate to etch your information on the item you wish to identify. I would not use the lettering punches for the reason you stated.

Jamie Buxton
09-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Why not a magic marker?

If you're concerned about conventional magic marker getting washed off by solvents in the refurb process, there are also paint markers. They look like magic markers, but apply true paint.

Bill White
09-23-2008, 11:11 AM
machinist's blue.
Bill

Dave Verstraete
09-23-2008, 12:48 PM
You can use a dremel type tool with a small grinding wheel in it to use it like a pencil grinder.

Fyrman Dave
09-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Paint marker. Semi permanant, it will stay until you make the conscious decision to remove it.

Joe Jensen
09-23-2008, 2:18 PM
I will be thoroughly cleaning and repainting. I am intending to spray them all at once. On some parts, there are areas that will not be painted so the paint marker is a good idea there. On other parts, I will end up painting 100%. I'll have to see if a vibratory marker will mark deep enough to show through paint.

One of my issues is that I'm using Catalyzed Acrylic and both my spray rigs use 2qt pressure pots. With them, there are several oz of paint that fills the line before I can spray. As a result, I want to only mix the paint twice, and spray all parts twice with each mix. Sadly the 1qt of paint, reducer, and catalyst was $84...joe

Bruce Page
09-23-2008, 6:20 PM
I use blue masking tape and a Sharpie. I put small parts in marked egg carton cavities and keep a list of what is in each cavity. To answer your original question, you can stamp CI easily, just don't do it too close to the edge. It will raise the metal so you'll have to stone/file the markings flat as need be.