PDA

View Full Version : Delta 17-950L Drill Press

James Hart
09-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Been thinking about a drill press. I do little drilling, but I like things to be accurate when I do.

I'm looking at the Delta 17-950L, on Amazon right now for $365 inc. shipping. Amazon reviews are typical. More about boxes and packing and shipping than a critical analysis of the tool. They are all pretty good as far as not getting broken or ill-fitting parts.

Stroke is a little short, but I can live with it.

I know the DP of choice on the board seems to be Steel City, but $250 is $250.

Any experience or opinions?

glenn bradley
09-22-2008, 11:54 PM
You can get them at Lowe's for $369 any day of the week. I was after the SC and got this when a great deal at my local Lowe's came along. My dad got the 959 and they are two different animals. My 950 does very well but is obviously the top-dog of the 'smaller' Delta designs. It has the depth stop design used on the bench-tops. Don't get me wrong, I really like this machine and have been pleasantly surprised that the short quill throw has been of no consequence; this was an area of concern for me.

The 959 is much more solid and appears to be the true entry machine into the larger DP arena for Delta. I've used both and for the aggressive hobbyist, there is minimal difference in the machines end result. The table design is great although both dad and I added after market tables. Woodpecker for me and Rockler for dad.

If this wasn't long-winded enough, see:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57448

and

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57826

James Hart
09-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Glenn,

Thanks much for the feedback. I had read those threads and was curious how you felt about the DP after a year or so, which you were kind enough to report.

I noticed that many of you bought these (at great prices) a year to 18 months ago. Everyone seemed pretty positive them. I'd appreciate an update after having used it for a while.

Thanks,

Jim