PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions to owners of Dewalt 708 Miter Saw

Craig D Peltier
09-22-2008, 6:51 PM
When did they stop making this model?

I think on dewalts site it list a 16 inch crosscutting capacity if you use a bed raiser ( example block of wood) to bring the height up to the top of fence you can get 16 inch crosscutting out of it. Am I not thinking this thru correctly but this will work for any sliding saw? You get more of the full width of the 12 inch blade across the wood when the blade can cut deeper.

I have tried to find one online.Found several site's listing it but when called they dont have it.

Toolsteal may have one but there rating on ebay is so bad for shipping I dont want it from them.Nor do they list a phone number even on there non ebay site.

Steve Clardy
09-22-2008, 7:14 PM
About 4 years ago I think. I bought a spare [have 2 of them] on closeout when the new ones [718] were released.
I can cut 16", by raising the board up, into the blade.
There a learning curve to it.
Some say its dangerous, but not me.

Ed Peters
09-22-2008, 8:06 PM
It actually went through several revisions during it's prduction cycle. I have the 708, type 4 as my in shop workhorse.

Ed

Craig D Peltier
09-22-2008, 8:43 PM
About 4 years ago I think. I bought a spare [have 2 of them] on closeout when the new ones [718] were released.
I can cut 16", by raising the board up, into the blade.
There a learning curve to it.
Some say its dangerous, but not me.

I raise the blade into mine all the time as well. I havent felt any negative force towards it.
Thanks for info.
Since I cant find a 708 and I sold my 12 inch ridgid non slider.I think t-morrow morning im getting the milwaukee.

Steve Clardy
09-22-2008, 9:28 PM
Theres 2 used ones on ebay.

Alan DuBoff
09-23-2008, 5:12 AM
I have a 708, it's a great saw, my only complaint is that it's NOISY!

Not such a big deal, it handles everything I throw at it.

Can cut through 4x4s without breaking a sweat. No problem cutting 4.5"x4.5" hard maple legs I built my workbench with.

The stand, while a bit pricey, is well worth it. Can setup in a couple minutes, very mobile, and cuts up to 16' lengths of 1x6 t&g for me, easily, with the extensions. It has earned it's keep.