PDA

View Full Version : Saw tills

Jack Camillo
09-22-2008, 6:39 PM
Curious what the consensus is out there. I'm "organizing" my shop. (translation - decluttering because it's getting impossible to make anything in any reasonable amount of time). So, I googled "saw till" as my collection of saws is not collected in any one area. The first dozen or so saw till results actually surprised me: handles down, with blades leaning into slots. If there was no such thing as a saw till, I'm thinking I would not have designed one with that direction of saw position. What have YOU done? thanks
jack

Graham Hughes (CA)
09-22-2008, 8:39 PM
The till serves two purposes; protecting the saw (so teeth into the cabinet, usually) and making it easy to access them. The latter means you want the handle to be at a comfortable standing height. If you're going to mount the till high up on a wall, this implies handle down, blade up. If you're going to have the till freestanding on the ground, then obviously you do it the other way 'round.

The older historical examples tended to use chests, which have a different set of requirements and usually mount the saws flat against the lid and along the length of the chest. These seem to be marginally less convenient to access but are probably more secure in some sense--not that moving a 400 lb tool chest while it's full of metal is any easy task!

gary Zimmel
09-22-2008, 9:52 PM
Jack

This may not be a traditional sawtill but it works for me.

In my shop I like to have everything behind closed doors.
When I as trying to figure out what to do with my saws
I came up with this.

Pretty straight forward cabinet.

Opened up it will hold a number of saws. By my count it
would hold close to 30 depending on the size of them.

97361 97362

Still a few more holes to fill.... This slope is crazy....

Bill McDermott
09-22-2008, 10:52 PM
Dad's saws were in a till on a board, on the wall behind and above his bench. Pretty handy. The bottom was a single dowel, about an inch in diameter that ran horizontally - held away from the wall about 10 inches. The hooks at the top of the saw handles would rest on that dowel. Further up the wall were two horizontal strips with a series of quarter inch dowels. The saw blades were held perpendicular to the wall by the dowels and the teeth were up against the strips. Long saws on the left, short on the right. Lot's of saws in very little wall space. Flexible arrangement. Easy to get and easy to return. My own arrangement is not so orderly.

Gary Herrmann
09-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Wow, Gary. That is a boat load of backsaws. I'll show this to my wife next time I buy one. ;)

Don C Peterson
09-22-2008, 11:53 PM
I made a tool till on casters so I could move it around my shop wherever I need it, or move it out of the way...

One side is for saws, the other for planes.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=73095&highlight=tool+till

It was a proof of concept that has worked out great, I really like it. One of these days I might even make one out of nicer materials.

Narayan Nayar
09-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Don-- I missed that post earlier this year. Thanks for surfacing it again. That's great, and might be just the ticket for my shop.

Cheers!

Alan DuBoff
09-23-2008, 4:03 AM
Jack

97361 97362

Still a few more holes to fill.... This slope is crazy.....
Gary,

Nice collection of great looking saws!

I dare show my tills...(I use 2 large cardboard boxes :rolleyes:)

A nice till is on my list of things to do...but I'm just gonna hang them on the wall I think.