PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Credit Cards

David Dustin
09-22-2008, 4:50 PM
Hey o Knowledgeable ones..........

We are interested in setting up a wireless creditcard system.
Anybody using one or have horror stories about some?

Thanks,
David

Jim Becker
09-22-2008, 8:06 PM
No experience, but the ranch we went riding at in the Colorado Rockies used one for on-site registration and for sales of souvenirs and food. (No electric, no running water. no land-line phones out in the middle of their 4500 acre spread) What I observed was that they had to dial the line on the phone attached to the system and once the connection was up and stable, they could then process the transaction. It was slower than "normal", but not that much longer than a store using an analog connection for the same. The system was very compact, too. Just the small phone and a very small printer/keypad system.

I have seen these used at craft shows and trade shows, too, although I never really paid attention to them.

Quite obviously, you'll want a unit that uses the cellular technology that performs best for the given area you'll be using the device in most of the time.

Ray Uebner
09-23-2008, 1:22 PM
Hi
I use Pipline data and then seem to work. As long as you have cell service it does anyway. Their rates are good and tech support is also good. You can find them on the web and then decide for yourself.

Brian Elfert
09-23-2008, 5:02 PM
I worked at a place that used wireless credit card machines even though there are phone lines all over. I suspect the bank didn't charge extra or they wouldn't have done it.

They worked great. Transactions went through as fast/faster than the old phone line credit card machines.

Tom Godley
09-23-2008, 5:07 PM
I have often wondered why this technology is not used more in the USA - it is used all over the world in restaurants were each server has a tiny swipe reader and number pad.

I have seen the cell based units but they have been larger and not networked together.

Since it is not in use I bet it is $$$

Jeff DeVore
09-30-2008, 9:46 AM
We have used wireless systems at craft shows for the last 12 years or so. The unit we have now is about 5 years old and uses technology simular to cell phones and cost us about $700.00. Not sure what system the newer units use. We use Costco for processing. You can buy the unit anywhere and they can program it right over the phone (providing you buy a unit that is compatible with their wireless carrier in your area). The monthly minimum fee from them is $20.00 and the wireless fee is $18.50 for a mimimum charge of $38.50 per month whether you use it or not. If you are using it and the discount and other fees total more than $20.00 then it goes up from there. 50-60% of our sales are from credit and debit cards. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and Amex. I am considering dropping Discover and Amex because of their high fees. We only get about 2% of our credit card sales from Discover or Amex and I think most people would also have a Visa or MasterCard to pay with if we didn't take Discover or Amex. I've have several customers each show with thier MasterCard or Visa out ready to pay when they notice that we take Amex and Discover and then they put away the Visa card and pull out the Amex or Discover card because they get cash back or some other discount through them. Unfortunately as a vendor we pay for this via higher fees. Hope this helps, Jeff.

Jim Becker
09-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Jeff, consider your customer demographics before you drop AMEX. While your fees may be higher, these same folks will sometimes actually spend more.

While I enjoy the Membership Rewards program with AMEX, it's not why I use my card. I use it as my preferred replacement for cash and have for many, many years. Cash back and points are not unique to AMEX and Discover, either. These are also popular options for VISA and MC from some sources.