PDA

View Full Version : Pennsyvania setback done!

Brian Knop
05-13-2004, 12:20 AM
I finally finished this Pennsylvania setback cupboard. It’s made from quarter-sawn red oak, with two coats of garnet shellac and two coats of lacquer than wax.. I copied it after the one in popular woodworking #113, made it for the wife's birthday. Finished it today( today is her brithday) cut it pretty close, as you can see it didn't take her long to fill it up.

Brian

Terry Quiram
05-13-2004, 7:05 AM
Brian

Beautiful piece. I love the look of qs Oak. You did very well.

Terry

Kelly C. Hanna
05-13-2004, 8:29 AM
Very nice work! I'll bet the wife loves it!

Donnie Raines
05-13-2004, 8:36 AM
Wonderful! Nice execution of the design...very nice!

Donnie Raines

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2004, 8:45 AM
Absolutely gorgeous!

Lynn Sonier
05-13-2004, 8:50 AM
Very nice, Brian. I can see that this will be a family heirloom, handed down with pride from generation to generation. Nice work!
Lynn

Mark Mazzo
05-13-2004, 9:11 AM
Brian,

You did a supurb job on that piece. The quarter sawn Red Oak looks great with the Garnet shellac. I'm sure that your wife is very happy with her present.

--Mark

Jason Tuinstra
05-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Brian, Wow!!! I believe this is a Glenn Heuy design. I really like his work a lot. You certainly did it justice. I wouldn't have thought of using qs oak for this, but it looks great. I really like the way the cove molding looks as well. Thanks for sharing. This is a really nice piece.

Bruce Page
05-13-2004, 10:57 AM
Beautiful work Brian! That's a great B-Day gift. Is the back solid wood or ply?

Donnie Raines
05-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Brian, Wow!!! I believe this is a Glenn Heuy design. I really like his work a lot. You certainly did it justice. I wouldn't have thought of using qs oak for this, but it looks great. I really like the way the cove molding looks as well. Thanks for sharing. This is a really nice piece.

Jason,

That was my first reaction as well(Glenn Huey). It is indeed, Glenns design. click on the URL below for Glenns. He used(big surprise) curly maple.

http://www.hueyfurniture.com/images/featured/pensylvania_stepback_cupboard.jpg

Donnie Raines

Jerry Todd
05-13-2004, 12:45 PM
Brian,
Nice craftmanship. You should be proud.
Jerry

Jim Ketron
05-13-2004, 4:49 PM
Great Job!!

Jim

Earl Kelly
05-13-2004, 5:00 PM
Brian, very nice piece. I'm sure your wife will enjoy it.

Chris Padilla
05-13-2004, 5:02 PM
Stupendous!

Jim Becker
05-13-2004, 6:31 PM
Outstanding! Great job!:)

Mark Stutz
05-13-2004, 8:33 PM
That is oustanding. I don't think i've ever seen anything made from QS Red Oak before, only White Oak. I really like the color and grain.

Mark

Lars Thomas
05-13-2004, 9:34 PM
Jason, that's well done. I especially like the joinery on the bracket feet. Looks nice. Lars

Todd Burch
05-13-2004, 9:51 PM
Brian, great job! GREAT JOB!!

Brian Knop
05-13-2004, 10:28 PM
The back is solid wood just like Glenn Huey’s, with a few changes. My wife likes the look of wood so I did not paint the inside. I told her how much the rattail hinges and the restoration glass was so we skipped it. I forgot to mention that before applying finish I fill the bores with light brown wood filler. Mine is also about 5" smaller in order for it to fit into it's current place. I’m grateful to people like Glen who are willing to share their designs and knowledge with the rest of us.
Brian

Jeff Skory
05-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Really nice Brian! In a few years (decades?) I hope to achieve the level you're at.

John Miliunas
05-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Whew! It's a GOOD THING that LOML doesn't browse through here! You'd be getting me into some "trouble"! :eek: Very well done and gorgeous wood selections! :cool:

Mark Valsi
05-14-2004, 10:50 AM
excellent !! WOW !!!

Donnie Raines
05-14-2004, 11:33 AM
The back is solid wood just like Glenn Huey’s, with a few changes. My wife likes the look of wood so I did not paint the inside. I told her how much the rattail hinges and the restoration glass was so we skipped it. I forgot to mention that before applying finish I fill the bores with light brown wood filler. Mine is also about 5" smaller in order for it to fit into it's current place. I’m grateful to people like Glen who are willing to share their designs and knowledge with the rest of us.
Brian
Brian,

Your right on about Glen. I am lucky enough live near and to know Glen rather well. He has aided me like no other and he and I share lumber with each other every now in then. I made the Shaker SPice box that he put toghther....I called him and got his permission(feel like your stealing design ideas when you dont...me any how) . He laughed and said of coarse! That is the biggest flattery an artist can have....and he's right.

Again, great job!

Donnie Raines