PDA

View Full Version : Today’s Wood Gloat

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2008, 4:43 PM
This morning my neighbor, Bob Hainstock, came over and asked the question that all woodturners love to hear: Do you want any more wood? He advised me to fuel up the chainsaw and head down to where they are in the process of building a small mini-mall on the corner of US 41 and M28, about 2 miles from here. Said he had talked to one of the front loader operators and that we could take all we wanted! Cool!

There were 3 large maple logs that had been branched and pushed over to the side of the work area. They were partially imbedded in dirt but I dug a tunnel under each section so the chainsaw had room to work without cutting rock. Took me about an hour to cut the first truck full and load it all up. Had to rip each log in half as there was no way I could lift a section up by myself and place in the back of the truck.

Got home, sealed and stacked the wood and took a break for lunch. Had my other neighbor, Dennis, come over to find out why my truck was in my backyard – so I showed him all the wood. Told him I was actually heading back down and try to get some more. Believe it or not – Dennis asked to come along and give me a hand! Wow! Thanks Dennis!

Took about an hour and we had the truck loaded up again only this time I was able to keep each piece in log form as there was 2 of us to lift them! Gots to tell you – 2 folks sure makes a difference!

Anchorsealed all the wood and stacked up as you see in the photos. Threw a metal yard stick on one chunk of wood for a reference.

97338 97339

Just wanted to share the luck! (and :D Thanks Bob :D for talking to the construction folks and getting permission to take the wood!!!)

So, I’ve got enough green maple to last for a while! Hope to get to turning it real soon!

Thanks for looking!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-22-2008, 4:48 PM
Congrats Steve!

Andrew Minear
09-22-2008, 5:04 PM
Steve,
You stated that you had ripped these logs, and it seemed that it didn't take that long. Did you have a "ripping chain" on the chainsaw and,if so, what size bar was it?

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2008, 5:17 PM
Andrew - no rip chain but I am sure that would be nice! Used the regular chain and just rocked the saw while cutting. I use a Husky 357 XP with a 20" bar and the size of this wood gave it a good workout but it really doesn't take long for it to cut through anything! Great saw IMHO!

Nathan Hawkes
09-22-2008, 5:32 PM
Nice score! It helps to have the right equipment! I have a stihl MS361, which is pretty equivalent; full pro model, roughly 60cc's. Gotta love the big curlies! In my limited experience, it doesn't make that much difference in short cuts between ripping and standard crosscut chain. The curlies are maybe a little smaller, but not enough of an appreciable difference to me. Everywhere I've seen ripping chain sold, it is with a disclaimer that it is for use in a chainsaw mill ONLY, and shouldn't be used for normal crosscuts. I personally have used it, and it definitely can be a bit more jumpy in the cut; its more dangerous for certain.

Scott Hubl
09-22-2008, 5:37 PM
NICE haul there Steve.
Congrats.:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2008, 5:42 PM
Wow Steve. Congrats on the wood haul. Wish I could find some wood around here that big for coring. That ought to keep you off the streets for a day or two.

Pete Jordan
09-22-2008, 6:24 PM
Wow Steve!

Great gloat! You sure have some great neighbors!

Steve Schlumpf
09-22-2008, 7:53 PM
Bob just forwarded this photo to me and I thought I would include it as it shows I actually do anchorseal the wood!

Wish you guys lived closer - I do believe in sharing!

Dick Strauss
09-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Steve,
It looks like you scored some nice wild cherry too. What a great day and what a great score!:cool:

Benjamin Dahl
09-23-2008, 5:58 AM
Steve, that is definitely a great gloat. have fun with that.
Ben