PDA

View Full Version : 3rd day on the lathe small bowl (pic)and son's(pic)too!

Jim Ketron
05-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Im having a blast on it just finished this bowl it is from a laminate structural beam I picked up on a jobsite today. This stuff is a PITA to work with!!!
And also my 10 yr old son got in on the action today. He done a great job !(It makes me proud that he has interest in the lathe) :D he's ready to use it again tomorrow!! His pic is the last one
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/IM000691_001.sized.jpg

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/IM000692.sized.jpg

Jim Becker
05-13-2004, 6:38 PM
Geepers...your don't like to start with "basics", do you?? <G> MicroLam is a bear to turn, and even harder to hollow. Great job on that bowl and it's nice to see your son taking an interest.

Jim Ketron
05-13-2004, 9:34 PM
Geepers...your don't like to start with "basics", do you?? <G>MicroLam is a bear to turn, and even harder to hollow. Great job on that bowl and it's nice to see your son taking an interest.

Tell me about it that stuff is hard to turn!:mad:
The inside was tuff I broke one of my chep chisels while doing it.:mad:
maybe the better chep set will get here soon from HF!:confused:
Jim

Jim Becker
05-13-2004, 9:38 PM
Tell me about it that stuff is hard to turn!:mad:
The inside was tuff I broke one of my chep chisels while doing it.:mad:
maybe the better chep set will get here soon from HF!:confused:
Jim
Jim, I recently turned a small vessel from MicroLam (it's posted somewhere here at SMC), and I found I had to sharpen about every two minutes...and I was using a Crown PM series Ellsworth bowl gouge. That's "powdered metal" and harder than the basic HHS that most turning tools are made from...the resin that binds the material together dulls tools very, very quickly.

Jim Ketron
05-13-2004, 10:07 PM
Jim, I recently turned a small vessel from MicroLam (it's posted somewhere here at SMC), and I found I had to sharpen about every two minutes...and I was using a Crown PM series Ellsworth bowl gouge. That's "powdered metal" and harder than the basic HHS that most turning tools are made from...the resin that binds the material together dulls tools very, very quickly.
Yes I seen your post and you gave me the idea at the time when you posted it .
I just had to wait untill they cut the beam.
And I also had to sharpen often
I have several big chunks left but I will probably wait befor I use them.
Im just experimenting with what Ive seen on the web and what Ive seen here.
I dont know anyone that has a lathe to get pointers from (Im just flying by the seat of my pants)
Your help is greatly appreciated
Jim

Ken Fitzgerald
05-13-2004, 11:16 PM
Jim, if you're winging it, you are flying like a seasoned pilot. The pieces you've shown so far have been great. I think you're a natural!

Jim Becker
05-14-2004, 5:02 AM
Jim, see if there is a local chapter of the American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org) in your area and start to attend the meetings. You'll meet a whole bunch of very nice folks and undoubtedly be flush with mentors to help you out. "Seeing" something done is worth a huge amount when it comes to turning!