PDA

View Full Version : Storing a precision straightedge

Verne Mattson
09-22-2008, 12:34 PM
I took advantage of LV's free shipping offer this weekend and ordered their 50" precision aluminum straightedge.

How do you store your straight edges? The LV has a hole to hang it, but I'm concerned about banging into it. Should I make a case for it, or is that overkill?

lowell holmes
09-22-2008, 12:55 PM
I keep my LV steel straight edge on a closet shelf in my office. That is to controll rust as much as anything else.

A case would be nice. Hmmm___

John Sanford
09-22-2008, 12:58 PM
Verne,

I ordered the 38" critter yesterday, and I will be making a case for it. My 12" Incra rule hit the concrete yesterday, and I don't even want to think of how many dings my 4' Aluminum rule has absorbed.

From my perspective, a case isn't overkill, especially if you have concrete underfoot.

dan mahler
09-22-2008, 1:08 PM
Suggested by a fellow creeker (can't find the post at the moment) I store my 36" LV straightedge using the Sears 48 in. Plastic Level Case $9.99. Works great.

glenn bradley
09-22-2008, 1:30 PM
I keep my steel one rolled in rust prohibitive paper, in the tube it shipped in, in my office in the house. A Lowell said, this protects it from any sort of "occurrence". A precision straight edge is not something you whip out every day so "off site" storage is not really an issue.

Steve Sawyer
09-22-2008, 2:13 PM
My LV 50" aluminum straightedge came packed in a very sturdy cardboard tube with plastic end caps. I store the straightedge in that tube, and the tube rests on two brackets high on the wall above a wood rack where one end is easily accessible. I never lean the straightedge against a wall, bench or machine. I will occasionally lie it on top of the jointer or TS or whatever I'm working on, but when I'm through actively working with it - even if I'm only through with it for five minutes - it goes back into the tube and the end cap firmly replaced.

Any protection is good, but make sure that whatever you use you can easily pull the straightedge out, and more importantly, put it back. If it's too much of a hassle to pull out and replace, it'll end up being leaned against a wall or workbench, and the sound of that $75 hunk of aluminum crashing to a concrete floor is NOT something you want to hear.

Clifford Mescher
09-22-2008, 2:30 PM
I built this from butternut wood.Clifford

Clifford Mescher
09-22-2008, 2:32 PM
Case closed. Clifford

Bruce Page
09-22-2008, 2:33 PM
My 50" LV hangs by the hole in a safe location.

Brent Smith
09-22-2008, 4:18 PM
I put my straight edges on a top shelf. Only them and nothing else to avoid banging or accidently knocking them off.

Verne Mattson
09-22-2008, 5:27 PM
Some good suggestions guys, thanks. I think I'll go with the shipping tube as storage for now, though I'd love to build something as nice as Clifford's case. The Sears level case is a good idea too, though I wonder if a 50" straightedge would fit in it. I just don't have any really out of the way places in my cramped basement shop to safety store it without some protection.

Won't have long to wait to figure it out, since it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I also ordered one of the Hong Kong HA smoothers - couldn't resist trying one (drive by gloat).