PDA

View Full Version : Lathe at auction

Skip Spaulding
09-22-2008, 8:44 AM
I could use a little information, I found a powermatic #45 lathe up for auction locally. Auction is Wed. morning. If lathe is in good condition, what would be a good price and what should be max bid?! My wife doesn't think I really need another lathe but then I don't think She ever needs another pair of shoes! Found 45 on ebay min. bid $699. 3 days to go no bids so far. Thats all I have to go on .
Thanks, Skip

Scott Hubl
09-22-2008, 6:23 PM
There are a couple on epay now, look them over see whats included to.
Also NOTE, the one you reffered too is 3 Phase

The others may be as well.

Is the one your looking at single phase or 3 phase?

Keep in mind 3 phase tools Usually sell for less unless a commercial shop wants it or a hobbiest who can add a VFD( I think thats whats needed< No expert on that you'd have to research that more yourself.) to it to use at home.

Solid lathe, good luck.

Skip Spaulding
09-22-2008, 6:59 PM
Scott, thanks for the comments, I'm not sure of the phase but I don't think the rural area the auction is in has 3 phase. Like you, I would be thinking vfd if it is 3ph. I was reading somewhere that older 3ph. motors can sometimes over heat when hooked up to a vfd. Older insulation on the windings won't hold up. They are allowing inspection 1hr. before the auction so I should get a chance to look it over.
Thanks again, Skip

John M. Smith
09-22-2008, 7:53 PM
I picked up an old powermatic #90 at auction a few years ago. It was three phase but it already had capacitors to run on single phase. Paid $350 for it . Runs great. No vibration.

robert hainstock
09-22-2008, 7:56 PM
Motors are most often wound with varnish or oyher synthetic coating over the bare copper wire. This coating insulates the wire and keeps it from shorting and becoming a hazard. Yhree Phases power can be priciy to install, but will run the lathe better, and posibly one of the converters will work. I have had no expierance with them. Good luck woth the purchase.
Bob

Joe Meirhaeghe
09-22-2008, 9:03 PM
Skipp
I have a model 45. It's a Heavy Older Made in the USA Lathe that performs Very well. I use it mostly for turning spindles.
I bought mine at auction about 6 yrs ago Paid $450. if I remember right. Them I bought a Brand New 3/4 hp single phase motor & link belt for it for around $125. Cleaned it up & repainted it for around $25. For a total investment of around $600.
Now Looks & works like a new machine. I was told that they quit making them around 1976 and they sold for around $2500. back then.
You won't buy a new machine of any brand that would compare to this lathe for less than $1500.
That said use your own judgement & decide if it suits your turning needs.

Dick Strauss
09-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Skip,
About two years ago I attended a local school auction where I saw a PM45 and a PM90. Both of the lathes were in working condition as far as I know. I think they were both three phase but I'm not sure. IIRC, one of them sold for $110 and one sold for $140.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful. It gives you some hope that there are still bargains to be had if people don't go crazy.

Good luck,
Dick

Brodie Brickey
09-23-2008, 2:52 PM
Choosing this lathe depends a lot on what you want to turn. If you're looking to do large bowls (+12 inches) its the wrong lathe. You might consider this lathe for $300 in 3 phase. I don't think you're ahead much after the converter which can run you either as a converter or converter and new motor. Once you add that up, you're looking at anywhere from 450-600. The Jet 1220 is only $445 w/ free shipping, its a lighter unit, but won't take up the space.

Above that, you might consider a Jet 1236 or Nova 1624-44 although those are over 1k now. My how prices have jumped.:(

Allen Neighbors
09-23-2008, 7:31 PM
Before the auction, you might check and see if you can get three phase installed at your location. I tried that here in NW Texas, and the electric company advised me that we weren't authorized to have three phase electricity in a residential location.