PDA

View Full Version : Finally a chance to do something in a nearly completed shop....

Ken Fitzgerald
09-21-2008, 11:31 PM
This afternoon between football scores I had a chance to use my new tools in the shop. I needed to make a new donut chuck for the PM3520B I have acquired.

It was such a joy to go the shop and work for 30 minutes; come in and check football scores and return to the shop.

I used my DC, tablesaw, bandsaw, drill press and lathe.

I still need to build an assembly table that will double as an t/s outfeed table. Still, being able to go from one machine to the other and get good accurate results.

It is starting to come together and I'm enjoying it!

Gene Michael
09-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Congrats!!! What were you using for a shop before? The house we had for 23 years also had a nice workshop out back. Hope to have one at the new house some day. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-22-2008, 12:38 AM
Gene,

I had a 10'x 7' area within a 13'x`18' shed attached to our car port. I joined the Creek just as I was beginning to plan my new shop. It is a 30' x 24' free standing woodworking shop with 10' ceilings. It has it's own electrical meter, 200 amp service, insulated, 2x6 construction, poured footing, wall and floor. I would have been at this point 2 years ago but the turners sent me a Jet VS Mini and tools. I did nothing but turn for 2 years using a set of construction lights for lighting. I had $600 of fluorescent fixtures and lights sitting in the corner gathering dust for 2 years. The LOML is older than I and could have retired but came to me. She had me hire a contractor and build the empty shell. She continues working today to pay for the shop. I finished it....did the electrical, the insulation, the painting...covered the walls with plywood snd the ceiling with 5/8" sheetrock. For Christmas 2 years ago she had a 75,000 btu Lennox hanging gas furnace installed in the shop. Today was the first time I went to the shop with a project where I could go from planning, to construction and utilize everything in the shop but the planer and the jointer. It was so nice. I'm one lucky guy!

Don Bullock
09-22-2008, 7:39 AM
Ken, congratulations on getting some "shop time" in your shop for the first time. As you know I'm looking forward to that experience, hopefully soon. It sounds like the LOYL is a keeper.;):D

Lon LeBlanc
09-22-2008, 7:39 AM
Ken,

Lucky indeed....with an angel for a wife! Enjoy!:D

Lon

Andy Casiello
09-22-2008, 7:40 AM
That's awesome, Ken! You do sound like a very lucky guy. Your wife sounds like one in a million. Enjoy your shop. Sounds like you are just at the beginning of a whole new phase with that big new shop all up and ready to go. How cool is that!

Tony De Masi
09-22-2008, 8:48 AM
Congrats Ken. But with all that new space couldn't you fit in a wall mount flat screen too? :D:D

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
09-22-2008, 8:58 AM
Ken,

Lucky indeed....with an angel for a wife! Enjoy!:D

Lon

Lon,

Interesting that you should say that. 16 years ago this month, it was discovered she had a rare form of cancer. She hadn't had a physical in 9 years. She went to the doctor; they discovered her cancer. We had to wait 10 days for surgery at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle. She swears to this day that her personal angel was was looking out for her and that is why she had that physical. She now collects angels. I tell her I married the first one I met.

Bill Huber
09-22-2008, 9:22 AM
Well I am shipping you out another project one today.....:D

I know the feeling, I just got my power a short time ago and it was so nice to run more then one tool at a time and still have the fan on.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-22-2008, 9:24 AM
Bill, I ordered the wood last night. Looking forward to doing it.

John Eaton
09-22-2008, 9:32 AM
Congrats Ken!

I've been "working" on my shop actively since February. I can't wait to actually use it - right now everything is against one wall. I did manage to hang my ambient dust collector yesterday and get another long section of the ceiling sealed up. Next is moving the wood on one side to seal up that wall and finishing the duct-work for the dc, so it gets closer every day. I can't wait to make my own "finally got to..." post!

-- John

Shawn Walker
09-22-2008, 1:16 PM
This afternoon between football scores I had a chance to use my new tools in the shop. I needed to make a new donut chuck for the PM3520B I have acquired.

It was such a joy to go the shop and work for 30 minutes; come in and check football scores and return to the shop.

I used my DC, tablesaw, bandsaw, drill press and lathe.

I still need to build an assembly table that will double as an t/s outfeed table. Still, being able to go from one machine to the other and get good accurate results.

It is starting to come together and I'm enjoying it!

That's great feeling isn't it!!! Enjoy!!!

I've had my shop a long time now, but I stiil appreciate it as much as I did the first day.

Now I get to share it with myGrandson . :D

One day not long ago when we were muckin around in the shop he says to me... Grampa... You have a nice little house.... I said ... yes we do.
Then he says... You have a lot of toys in your house... I said... Yes we do. :D:D

Lon LeBlanc
09-22-2008, 1:20 PM
Interesting that you should say that. 16 years ago this month, it was discovered she had a rare form of cancer. She hadn't had a physical in 9 years. She went to the doctor; they discovered her cancer. We had to wait 10 days for surgery at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle. She swears to this day that her personal angel was was looking out for her and that is why she had that physical. She now collects angels. I tell her I married the first one I met.

Ken,

Sounds like you are both blessed. I'm glad that her "angel" was talking to her.

Lon

Steve Clardy
09-22-2008, 2:25 PM
Well I'm not seeing any pics of said donut chuck:confused:

Is this a special chuck to keep from mashing donuts while eating? :p:D

Don Carter
09-22-2008, 5:12 PM
Do you think it needs to be bigger yet? When I built my small shop, I thought that I would never use all the space.

Enjoy the shop, but even more importantly, enjoy the angel in your life. ;)

All the best.

Don

Von Bickley
09-22-2008, 5:17 PM
Ken,

Glad to hear you are in your new shop, but why did you have to come in to check the football scores?

I'm missing something.....:D

Ken Fitzgerald
09-22-2008, 5:19 PM
Ken,

Glad to hear you are in your new shop, but why did you have to come in to check the football scores?

I'm missing something.....:D

Yeah....The football scores!:D

Jim O'Dell
09-22-2008, 7:58 PM
Congrats Ken! I still don't have mine finished where I can use everything in the shop, but I can make most of the tools work with a little time and effort. Jim.

Jim Becker
09-22-2008, 8:27 PM
Ken, did your lovely hide the camera from you again??? ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-22-2008, 8:47 PM
Jim..Naw! The "Old GUy" didn't get enough hardware to finish it. I took today off and got the hardware, mailed some Freedom Pens off and finished turning the 1st of several donuts. I also fixed supper for the LOML who worked today.

I'm going to the shop and cover the donut with some padded shelf paper to keep the plywood from damaging finishes when it's being used.

Then if things allow, I'm going to turn the tenon off a NE that's been waiting to finished for at least 12 months. Then, if things go well, I'll get some finish on the foot of the NE. This is perhaps the prettiest piece of wood I've ever turned and yet, because of the odd shape of it when it was delivered to me, I had to use a form with which I'm not comfortable . Brian Brown and his wife saw it and insisted I finish it. I left the walls extremely thick. I wanted it to turn out. A Creeker gave me the wood. It came from his father's tree and his father died the following fall. I want this to turn out regardless of the form so I can return it to the giver so he might have it to remember his Dad. When it's done, I'll post a photo.

In the mean time, later this evening I'll post a photo of my donut chuck.