PDA

View Full Version : Please help-Powermatic bandsaw

Clisby Clark
09-21-2008, 10:36 PM
I've got a lead on 14 inch Powermatic bandsaw (dark green w/white stripe). Asking $575. What should I be looking for when inspecting/testing a bandsaw? Does this sound like a decent deal for this saw? Thanks

Eric Larsen
09-21-2008, 10:51 PM
I don't know where you live, but I think $600 is far too high for a used band saw. Especially a 14" one. You could get a new Griz for considerably less.

Wilbur Pan
09-21-2008, 11:30 PM
But the build quality on the old green Powermatics was phenomenal, especially compared to modern day Grizzly machinery.

Having said that, $575 for an old Powermatic 14" seems a little high to me. There's one that sold on eBay for $400 that looked like it needed some restoration. For one that's in great shape, I'd go as high as $500, knowing that I'm going to get a better bandsaw than a Grizzly.

The best way to check it out is to see if the seller will let you cut some wood on it. Make sure that the upper and lower guide assemblies are in good shape, and that the table tilts as it should. There shouldn't be any weird noises when you turn it on and the wheels start spinning.

It's actually pretty easy to tune up an old bandsaw, with a minimum of mechanical experience.

Simon Dupay
09-21-2008, 11:36 PM
broken castings are what to look out for almost anything else is serviceable, that a $2,000 dollar bandsaw if the still made them so keep that in mind when comparing the price of fixing vs a new import bandsaw.

Joe Jensen
09-22-2008, 1:44 AM
Ha Ha, new Griz over the venerable old iron 14" Powermatic. I bought a new one in 1990. I listed it on the online forums and Craig's List off and on for about 3 months. Started at $750 and eventually dropped to $600. This was in Phx. My machine had the original PM fence and one buyer kept pestering me for the fence. I ended up selling the fence for $100 and the saw for $500.

I had a hard time desiding to sell it. Awesome machine. I just didn't have room in my shop for 2 bandsaws.

Mine was in very very good condition. 18 years in Phoenix with no rust, nothing broken, and great bearings. At $575, it should be in great condition. Also, there always seem to be one or two at the local used tool dealer in Mesa AZ, (Timber WW Machines), on consignment for around $500...joe

Bob Aquino
09-22-2008, 6:33 AM
600 is a bit on the high side for that saw unless it is in pristeen condition. If it is, then its more than worth it. No comparison to a griz, if you are getting into older woodworking equipment properly restored and maintained, that will become pretty obvious.

Charles Seehuetter Panama City
09-22-2008, 7:11 AM
I have to say that it really depends on the model of this band saw. If it's a Powermatic 141 it is definately worth the $575 asking price and if it's a model 143 it's worth up to twice that price. These machines are heavy. Here is my model 143 that I recently finished restoring.

Before restoration
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=355
After Restoration

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=356

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/picture.php?albumid=40&pictureid=357

I've seen this machine sell for as much as $1200 as is. It was made in the 1970's, has a two speed transmission plus belt change pulleys for 4 more speeds. It is for cutting wood or metal and very smooth. The frame is cast iron so will not flex. It weighs over 350 pounds.

Chuck

Brent Ring
09-22-2008, 10:18 AM
I have the 141, and found it at a WW shop - paid $400 for mine - got it cleaned and lubed up and it has been great - mine only had the 1/2 hp motor, and so I have been watching for a 3/4 or 1 hp. I love mine. The ONLY complaint, besides motor size is the 6" height - a bit hard to do much resawing. The saw is awesome. I will be able to sell it for my $400 easily - I put the kreg fence on mine and like it as well. I would have paid $500 for mine, it is so reliable.