PDA

View Full Version : More Ron Brese Screws Pics

Johnny Kleso
09-21-2008, 9:34 PM
I just finished three more sets of screws for Ron..

First you have the smaller 5/18 thread
http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/screw2/screws-2.jpg

Then the larger Aluminum Bronze 7/16-14

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/screw2/screws-3.jpg

And last Naval Brass 7/16-14 batch

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/screw2/screws-5.jpg

And a bad pic with my hand blurring the image of Three Grooves vs Four Grooves

What is your pick?
Three or Four..

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/screw2/screws-4.jpg

The heads are the same lenght but the extra groove makes it look longer, which I don't like :)

Alan DuBoff
09-21-2008, 9:50 PM
Hmmmm...bronze...tasty...:)

Doug Shepard
09-21-2008, 9:58 PM

First you have the smaller 5/18 thread

Sounds pretty screwy to me:D
Nice work as always.

Tom Hamilton
09-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Your instincts are right on. An odd number is usually more visually appealing. So three groves does look more interesting, balanced, attractive.

Now to the real question: What does one do with these gorgeous pieces and how can I get a dozen or so.

Gee, they are wonderful. My guess is they don't come in at 50 cents apiece.

If I knew a thread size and needed a work of art, can you make one? Or do I need to order a dozen. Let's see, replacing all the Craftsman plastic knobs with yours! Priceless! Probably actually expensive but maybe worth it!

Tom, in Houston, thinking don't fix the roof, buy custom knobs!

Jim Becker
09-21-2008, 10:11 PM
Three grooves for me!

Doug Shepard
09-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Gee, they are wonderful. My guess is they don't come in at 50 cents apiece.

Oh the screws are free with every order:D
http://www.breseplane.com/

Johnny Kleso
09-21-2008, 10:22 PM
Tom,

I'm just getting into the swing of making stuff again after 9 months of nothing due to back pain wich has me disabled for 5 years now..

I'm really not looking to get swamped with work and this fourm is not the place for me to solicite work..

If you have something you need you can PM me..

I am just so happy to be making something again I want to show it to my friends, I hope this is OK if not just let me know :)

Tom Hamilton
09-21-2008, 10:23 PM
Ah, I get it. Once again American exceptionalism shows its face.

So, Johnny, it seems like you may have a a separate market for the knobs. Set a price and quantity minimum and let's see what happens. You're making them anyway, just sell a few without the $1,200 plane attached.

Who knows, you may have a whole new business! And you were wondering how to pay for kid's college and braces!

Best regards and encouragement,

Tom, in Houston, thinking this has potential.

Alan DuBoff
09-22-2008, 12:08 AM
Then the larger Aluminum Bronze 7/16-14

http://stanleytools.home.comcast.net/screw2/screws-3.jpg

Johnny,

Not trying to dis your work, but you pointed out a similar problem last week with tooling marks on the heads. Maybe you've cleaned those up since.

I just ding'd one of my bronze split-nuts today...:o I was able to clean it up mostly...let's see if I can put the saw together without screwing them up more....

Johnny Kleso
09-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Alan,
In real live they look much better and you just see a mirror finishand unless you really eyeball them..

I dont like to sand them to much or you loose the sharp corners and they dont look as good..

But they are going to be flat sanded and re-buffed as they have a small tit and a few swirls too..

Alan DuBoff
09-22-2008, 1:54 AM
Johnny,

They look excellent, I wasn't trying to dis them at all.

I was curious about turning bronze on the Southbend 9A, mine will only do about 1000 rpm, and I wasn't sure if that was enough without sanding.

It's taken me a looooonnnngggg time to be able to work with this material, but I am smitten...I can now imagine what a heroin addict probably feels like in wanting more! :rolleyes:

I'm still getting up to speed on the 9A, and haven't spent much time lately. I need to as I want more split-nuts...unless I use a friend's lathe.

You can laugh at my metalwork, I just got my saw together. I'll post a couple pics.

Alan DuBoff
09-22-2008, 5:13 AM
Johnny,

The 2 in that pic, facing forward (3rd and 4th position in your photo). That's why I'm smitten with bronze...I love that hue, it's so mesmerizing...I guess that's the copper, it's super high in bronze. Funny, if I recall correctly, if you leave brass in salt water (i.e., ocean), the zinc gets leached out and what your left with is a copper sponge...:eek: Bronze doesn't do that, interestingly enough, because it doesn't have like 35% zinc...bronze has about 2% zinc.:cool: Bronze is about 80%-85% copper.

Mike Cutler
09-22-2008, 7:43 AM
Tom,

I'm just getting into the swing of making stuff again after 9 months of nothing due to back pain wich has me disabled for 5 years now..

I'm really not looking to get swamped with work and this fourm is not the place for me to solicite work..

If you have something you need you can PM me..

I am just so happy to be making something again I want to show it to my friends, I hope this is OK if not just let me know :)

Johnny

Posting pics of your work here is just fine by me. The material may not be wood, but stepping back and viewing it in an objective manner should encourage folks to try to emulate the quality of your work, no matter what the material. They may just be screws, but they are executed beautifully.

I hear you on the back pain bro'. A few years ago I had to finally give up bicycle racing because of my back. It was almost 2 years before I could bend over and pick up a pencil. I was quite a sight at a vending machine for a little while.:eek:,;)

My vote is three grooves. Too many grooves and the diagonal grooves have to become finer. Which makes your grip on the screw's head just a little tougher to control finely when tightening.

Johnny Kleso
09-22-2008, 11:22 PM
1,000 rpm is find I run my lathe in one speed lower than top gear, I think mine is 1,280 rpm top speed so I'm at about 1,000 rpm

You need to find a lathe tool grinding chart like at LittleMachineShop.com and find the tool rake page..

You will and to hand stone your tools after grinding and I always put a .010-.015 raidus on the tip so I get a smooth finish..

Once you get your tool rakes right your finish should improve..

Alan DuBoff
09-23-2008, 3:56 AM
Johnny,

I am still learning to grind my tools. I spent a day a couple months ago grinding, cutting on the lathe, and some of them really left a horrid finish...:o A couple were not bad. I had not thought about hand stoning them...that's a good tip. I used the "How to Run a Lathe" book as a guide, but found it was not nearly as easy as it seemed in the book.

I go over to my friends shop and he grinds a tool quickly, much more so than me. He suggested I buy some until I can get my skills better. They are getting better...*lol*

Here's a bushing I turned out of bronze with a tool I ground. But it took me time to figure out what tool I needed, and then to grind it. Oh, and I did break a parting tool that was thin, which I had extended too far...I realized the 4:1 rule must apply to the tools as it does the material...;)