PDA

View Full Version : Built In Bookshelves

Robert Dodd
09-21-2008, 7:51 PM
I am embarking on a project to build built in book shelves in two rooms. I an trying to build somewhat elegant and well designed book shelves. However, I haven't been able to find much guidance on design or construction. Any recommendations where I might find some additional guidance?:)

Thanks

Ray Schafer
09-22-2008, 1:31 AM
Man, I wish I had made note of the title of the book ... I was at Borders today and saw a great book about built-ins. I think it was by the same publisher as The Cabinet Makers Reference. I have a couple of magazines that have good articles, but I lent them to my friend. If he gives them back soon I will let you know what they are.

Norm had a show on a Library System ... if you can get that, it would probably help.

Ray

Ben Davis
09-22-2008, 8:47 AM
Large projects like this, IMHO, require deliberate planning and design decisions. It's not like a smaller work where things can be scrapped or changed significantly at a later stage in production. I would strongly suggest visiting any historic homes that are around your area and taking pictures of how they incorporated built-ins into their rooms. Some of the ideas are quite interesting!

Mike Wilkins
09-22-2008, 9:51 AM
Check the Taunton Press, the same folks that publish FineWoodworking and Fine Homebuilding magazines. A special interest publication came out a couple of years ago from them called Build In Furniture. There is also a book from them with a similar title. Check their website and do a search, or check with one of the booksellers like Barnes and Noble or Books a Million.

Robert Dodd
09-22-2008, 9:29 PM
Thanks for the responses. Ben, your comment resonates since it is a big project that will be expensive due to the cost of materials and the time involved. I will follow up with the suggestions.