PDA

View Full Version : wainscot question

Jeff Dunlap
09-21-2008, 4:10 PM
I was planning on putting up flat panel wainscot, and was wondering if someone could answer some questions. I was going to use hardboard for the flat panels and then use MDF for the rails, stiles, and cap. My questions are, i have never really used either material, i was wondering what is the best way to cut, i want to use a circular saw and wanted to know what is the best blade for this? Also as long as i prime and paint will you be able to tell it is two different materials? I have read that hard board is hard density fiberboard and is the same as mdf only it has smaller particles packed more tightly together is this true? I know MDF will hold i nice routed edge can the same be said for hardboard? And my last question what is the best way to attach the wainscot to the wall, what type of fasteners and what type of adhesive. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Cary Falk
09-21-2008, 6:20 PM
I put up wainscot for my neighbor like you are describing. I used 1/4 hardbaord for the panels and 3/4 MDF for the rail and stiles. I didn't take any pictures though. They painted it and you can't tell the difference. I did lighly sand the hardboard but I don't know if that was necessary. I also used pine for the top cap and you can't tell that that is a different material either. I attached everything to the walls with liquid nail and nails into the studs. Small brads for the hardboard larger nails for the rail and stiles. I cut everything on the table saw with a regular old 40 tooth combo blade.

Edit to add:

I only used the hardboard for panels because the walls were textured. If the walls are smooth then you don't need the panels.

Jim Becker
09-21-2008, 8:14 PM
Both products will work nicely for your wainscot, but I'd probably use 1/4" MDF for the panels, too. It's not quite as 'slick' as hardboard and will take primer and paint better. Do be aware that your exposed MDF edges will require filling as part of the finishing process to get a smooth surface.

John Bush
09-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Hi Jeff,
We recently updated our front entry using beadboard wainscott with a chair rail and floor molding. All the components are available in MDF preprimed ready to paint. We updated the powder room in the "board and batten" style, which seems to be what you are describing. We used 3/8 in. x 3 in. MDF for the verticles and 1/2 in. x 4 in. for the top rail and base trim. We used panel adhesive and just nailed to the painter surface with a brad nailer. We caulked all the seams and and nail holes and had a pro come in and spray all the new surfaces. It was easy to do, realatively inexpensive, and looks fantastic. They have a huge variety of profiles to choose from as well. Good luck. JCB