PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 750 Chisel ?

Mike Cutler
09-21-2008, 3:50 PM
I was out doing a little rust huntin' today, and got this Stanley 750, 1" chisel.
97263 97264

It looks to be in pretty good shape, 10 1/4" in length. Handle appears to be original,and I don't think it was ever re-sharpened, at least not properly. ( Someone but a back bevel on the backside of the tip, the tip also has a fair curve to it.)

The chisel appears to be blued. (Actually, it is blued, and a good bluing job at that.). It has some very minor surface pitting, which will definitely come out if I clean it up and polish it.

But heres the question.
Should I remove the bluing to flatten the back, or just grind off enough of the tip to remove the back bevel, sharpen it properly, and leave the bluing intact.?

The chisel cost $4.00 and is intended to be a user. I'd just hate to remove a trait (bluing) that someone else down the line may appreciate someday.

Advice definitely welcome.

Tom Veatch
09-21-2008, 5:05 PM
...Should I remove the bluing to flatten the back, or just grind off enough of the tip to remove the back bevel, sharpen it properly, and leave the bluing intact.?...

Grind off the back bevel and sharpen properly which will include flattening the back which will remove the bluing, at least in the area near the edge.