PDA

View Full Version : Spanish Cedar for exterior door?

lowell holmes
09-21-2008, 1:58 PM
In a recent This Old House episode, Spanish cedar was used to build new exterior doors. Being in New Orleans, I expected cypress might be used.

I am going to make a new door and am planning to use quarter sawn white oak. Is Spanish cedar something to consider using?

I will paint the door. I am using q.s. oak only because of its rot resistant qualities.

Is there any experience with Spanish cedar in this group?

Rob Cunningham
09-21-2008, 3:52 PM
I made 7 pair of raised panel shutters out of Spanish Cedar for a customer several years ago. He was going to paint them and hang them. As far as I know they are on his house and doing fine. I'm sure he would have been in touch if there was a problem.
One word of caution. Some people have reactions to the dust. I would wear a dust mask and use dust collection when working this wood.

Peter Quinn
09-21-2008, 5:50 PM
A buddy makes garage doors from them here in CT. Seems to mill better than western red cedar, less climb cutting required, its a bit more like mahogany in grain, color and density than the cedars I have worked used. Can't say if it will survive in LA or not, our bugs up north have the decency to take the winter off!:D

Cary Falk
09-21-2008, 6:10 PM
I don't know about it's bug and rot resistance. In my limited experience, it is a little on the soft side and it tastes horrible.

Eric Larsen
09-21-2008, 8:01 PM
It's also really, really light, moves around considerably and sucks up moisture like a sponge (thus its use in humidors). I don't think I'd want to use it for an exterior door for those reason.

Bill Dunn jr
09-21-2008, 9:54 PM
I live in Southeast Pa and one mill I deal with that makes doors and windows for high end homes uses Spanish Cedar regularly for both. I would not hesitate to use it around here. Like Peter, I am not sure how it would do in La.

lowell holmes
09-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys!

I am in Galveston county, South of Houston. The tv show was about New Orleans.

I am leaning towards the q.s. white oak.

I am curious about Spanish cedar and had heard that it was used in humidors.

My shop and tools did survive Ike. :-)