PDA

View Full Version : Finishes

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2008, 12:48 PM
Wondered if anyone had seen this or used this product? Say it has no VOC's, is green or enviromental friendly and resists milk, coffee, cola's, wine, and water. It says it bonds with the wood and therefore only one coat is needed. It says you can't put a second coat on and is easy to repair as a scratch will only accept the finish on the bare wood so won't build up. Just curious.

http://monocoat.us/index.shtml

Steve Schlumpf
09-21-2008, 1:16 PM
First I've heard of it but sure looks promising. To bad I didn't see any clear oils but they did have a nice selection of colors. If you decide to pick some up - be sure to let us know what you think of it!

Paul Engle
09-21-2008, 1:24 PM
Bernie, I found the clear ( no pigment) but they want one to request a quote... I wonder if one could get a sample or find a " nearest dealer" and get a sample of or see it in action. I'd almost bet it is over 40$ a gallon.

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2008, 1:56 PM
I wrote them a e-mail so will see what they have to say. I guess if all you can get it in is 1 gallon or 5 gallon cans it wouldn't be worth it unless you were a production turner. I will let you know what I find out. Steve they did say they had a natural no color finish.

robert hainstock
09-21-2008, 4:34 PM
All we need now is a sample. :)
Bob

David Drickhamer
09-22-2008, 10:19 AM
I sent Monocoat an email last night requesting a sample of the clear along with local dealer and pricing info. This morning I got a reply stating they would send a sample of the clear and the info I requested.

When I get it I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.

Paul Engle
09-22-2008, 2:43 PM
Be looking fwd to what you find out David, I wonder about shelf life and open air time.

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2008, 5:37 PM
Well here is my e-mail I received from them. It surely is a little pricey for turnings. Of course if it is the greatest thing since apple butter maybe not. Here ya go and I do have a sample coming.

Bernie,

Thank you for your message. Yes, Monocoat is food safe and is good for finishing countertops. I would be concerned about durability, however, with your type of application. The oil simply is not designed for constant exposure to liquids. Tomato sauce, if left overnight, would eventually leave stains. The total cure time for
natural oil finishes is 15 - 21 days. On liter of Monocoat will finish 350 to 500 square feet and costs $95 to $125.

If you would like to test some Monocoat oil on a turned piece I would be happy to send you a sample. Just send me your address.

Kindly,

Dan Elledge
Special Hardwood Products

Jim Becker
09-22-2008, 8:16 PM
Interestingly, the MSDS doesn't actually list what it's made of...the "confidential" label is employed. It will be interesting to hear what those of you who sample it think of the finish. I have to imagine that with only one coat, the effect is generally going to be something similar to a typical danish oil. Try to buff it out, too, BTW.

Allen Neighbors
09-23-2008, 1:34 PM
This is a message I received from Monocoat -- concerning the clear finish, I was wondering if it would leave the wood natural, or if it would cause the ambering I get from WWLacquer and Shellac. Bold is mine.
"Yes, Monocoat's Pure oil does not change the natural color. Like most clear finishes, it tends to amber the wood as it is applied, much the same as wetting sanded wood with water. Monocoat also has Nature color oil that has pigments in the mix that counteracts the ambering characteristic of clear finishes. This oil maintains the freshly sanded light look of the wood.
Thanks for your message.
Dan Elledge
Special Hardwood Products"
I'm gonna give it a try.

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2008, 3:58 PM
Yep Don e-mailed me this morning and said a sample is on the road. Will be very interesting to see how it turns out and yes Jim I will give it a buff to see what happens. Thanks guys.

David Drickhamer
09-26-2008, 4:32 PM
I got my sample from Monocoat yesterday and tried it on some scrap last night. So far the jury is still out. I tried it on maple, bloodwood and apple. It didn't tint or change the color of the wood. So far it doesn't seem any better than anything else I've used. It kind of looks like a first thin coat of wipe on poly. Might work great on floors but as I said. The jury's still out on turnings.

Scott Holmes
09-28-2008, 12:57 AM
MSDS says very little... makes me suspicous

It does say it's a wax-oil; so as far as durabilty, it should be a maintenance item forever!

Their industrial finish says soya oil, hmmm.

Marvin Hasenak
10-08-2008, 2:00 PM
Any updates on this finish? After all of the requests for samples I felt I would wait and see what everyone has come up with as to durability and shine factors.

Marvin

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2008, 2:30 PM
Haven't had a chance yet Marvin. Been on the road but hope to finish a bowl with it this weekend. Will post when done.

Marvin Hasenak
10-08-2008, 8:10 PM
Thanks. I make game calls and I really like the idea of a one coat finish. I also need one that is good looking with and without a shine, so far no such animal.

Marvin