View Full Version : ? About selling bowls

Curt Fuller
09-21-2008, 12:26 PM
I'm about to jump into the woodturning sales arena with a couple deals in early November. I've sold quite a few Christmas ornaments in the last couple years but that's about the extent of my woodturning sales. I was wondering if any of you ever turn a serving set, the big spoon and fork looking things, from matching wood and goes with your salad bowls. They aren't too hard or time consuming to make but I wonder if a 'set' would increase the value and appeal of a salad bowl. I know with the broad range of turners here someone will have some experience with this. So I guess my question is, is the serving set worth the trouble?

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2008, 1:16 PM
Yes I think they would Curt. I hate to admit it but I turned some cheese platters with the 6" marble insert in the middle and then the crackers would go around the edge. When I turned handles for cheese knives and added them to the platter I sold every one of them. The one salad bowl set I sold 10 small bowls with a large 15" bowl they asked me to make matching fork and spoon. So any others I make will have them.

Frank Kobilsek
09-22-2008, 9:05 AM
Curt

I will take the other side. Bernie is right the 'set' idea will add value but probably won't add to price. People will compare the utility items to walmart prices. If you present the items as useful they get nervous about paying $100 or more for a bowl but if its art then the higher price levels seem to be more acceptable.

There are people out there that will appreciate the craftsmanship in a utility item and pay real money for them but by making the useful set I think you are reducing your potential population of buyers.

Frank

robert hainstock
09-22-2008, 2:06 PM
Could you make and sell the serving set as well as the plate? That might be a way to please both parties. :)
Bob

Gary Max
09-22-2008, 3:00 PM
I know a woodworker that sells nothing but wooden utensils----sets of salad fork/spoon run around $15.00-------he sells out every show we see him at.
He also does measuring cup sets------I forget what they go for. He makes about 20 different things all in the same line---keeps the wood simple---Cherry --Poplar--walnut---nothing imported.