PDA

View Full Version : First square piece

Ryan Lewis
09-21-2008, 12:21 PM
This is my first attempt at turning in mid air. It is definitely a learning process. This is redwood and is 7 X 7 X 2 1/2. I used velvet oil to finish it. Since I am a wood turner/dental student and both of these have the ability to take up more time than the loml would like I have decided not to become a photographer so this is as good as my bowl pictures will get (minus the snot thats just extra flair).:D Any criticism or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any tips on how to sand these?
Ryan Lewis

Paul Engle
09-21-2008, 1:31 PM
Ryan,
You got it !!! looks great , uninformed will wonder how ya done it... nice work indeed. Now shoot for a 1/32" thick , but lay off the coffee before hand !!!:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2008, 1:57 PM
Great looking piece. Yep they do have a learning curve and at least for me I was on alert as to where my hands were all the time.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-21-2008, 2:01 PM
Ryan,

It looks like you passed Knucklebuster 101. Nicely done sir!

Clara Koss
09-21-2008, 2:25 PM
great change from the usual round pieces.... good color wood and great shape!!!! thanks for showing it to us!!!!:o

Rich Souchek
09-21-2008, 2:48 PM
... This is redwood and ...used velvet oil to finish it.
:confused:
Uncle.
I give up.
What is the velvet oil used in finishing?
Rich S.
PS like the square bowl, wood looks great.

robert hainstock
09-21-2008, 4:25 PM
Wholeheartedly with your philosophy on pictures. Mine will never be pro level either. That's a lovely piece too. :):):)
Bob

Ryan Lewis
09-21-2008, 9:04 PM
Here is a picture of the can that it comes in. The thing I like about it is that it is a friction polish that requires very little polishing with a buffing wheel. The more coats that you put on the more gloss it will have.

:confused:
Uncle.
I give up.
What is the velvet oil used in finishing?
Rich S.
PS like the square bowl, wood looks great.

Kim Ford
09-22-2008, 1:10 PM
Ryan;

That is way cool !! I really like to wood and the form.

Keep it up.

Kim

Steve Schlumpf
09-23-2008, 8:00 AM
Ryan - congrats on tackeling such a challenging form! You did good! Beautiful wood! You'll find that your photographic skills will continue to develop right along with your turning skills - the more you do, the easier it becomes.

Walt Nollan
09-23-2008, 2:37 PM
Very nice work for dental student. Very nice work for a woodturner also!!! Mother nature did a good job with the tree, you did a nice job uncovering it!

Walt