PDA

View Full Version : Changing Lines in Clipart

Anthony Welch
09-21-2008, 11:51 AM
I've got one of "Art Explosion's" clipart packages. I like to use some of the vector art to raster.

My problem is that when I only want to raster the art, but have some vector cuts elsewhere, the art has some buried hair lines that vector cut and I don't want that.:mad:

Is there a way to choose only the hairlines, other than individually, and change these to 1/2pt or larger? Some of these are very intricate and really impossible to find and change all the hairlines individually.:confused:

I have changed the whole group of lines to a larger pt. and it changes the whole image from what it originally was and is not what I want.:(

Thanks
Anthony

Mike Null
09-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Anthony

There are a few things you might try.

1. You might set your laser to raster only if that's an option.
2. In the view menu select simple wireframe. it will show you the entire drawing and you can make changes there.
3. You can use the edit menu and select "find and replace" and follow the step by step to change the lines. I rarely use this so I'm not able to give better direction.
4. You may be able to find the vector lines in object manager. If so, you can change the width there.

Anthony Welch
09-21-2008, 1:04 PM
Thanks Mike,:)

#1, I have been doing this on the current project.

I'll try your other suggestions and post results.

Anthony

Anthony Welch
09-21-2008, 1:51 PM
#4 worked. Took a little time, but worked perfectly.

Thanks again
Anthony

Mike Chance in Iowa
09-21-2008, 3:02 PM
#3 is very quick and easy to do. Comes in very handy.

You use the Find & Replace Objects and select the Outline Pen properties. It will only select the specified outline and replace it with another.

Anthony Welch
09-21-2008, 8:29 PM
Mike Chance,

You are correct sir. I only looked at the "find" wizard. You guys have to pardon me, but I'm having to learn these not so frequent used capabilities that Corel has.

Thank you for the lesson.
Anthony

Roy Brewer
09-23-2008, 1:18 AM
I have changed the whole group of lines to a larger pt. and it changes the whole image from what it originally was and is not what I want.Anthony,

In addition to the great tips already supplied, most often you'll do less damage to the clipart if you just convert it to a bitmap. Be sure you set the resolution to 500-600(or at least the resolution you'll be sending to the laser). Do not be dissappointed(mislead?) by the apparent degradation of the quality on the DRAW screen. CorelDRAW, being a vector program, does not go to a lot of trouble to render a bitmap on the screen. If the resolution suggestion above is followed, you'll see no difference it the quality of the engraved logo *and* you'll not have the artwork distortion that sometimes results when you start changing line widths.

BTW, you may say "But Corel doesn't offer 600dpi when I convert to Bitmap!" You're right, but it will let you type that (or any other value in).

Bill Cunningham
09-23-2008, 8:52 PM
Mike Chance,

You are correct sir. I only looked at the "find" wizard. You guys have to pardon me, but I'm having to learn these not so frequent used capabilities that Corel has.

Thank you for the lesson.
Anthony

I've been using Corel since Ver. 2, and I don't think a single month has gone by when I have not thought "Hmmm I didn't know it would do that".. I think most users find themselves using only a fraction of what the software will really do, because a lot of what it will do is not needed all that frequently, and you get used to a comfortable set of commands, and functions. It's always enlightening, regardless of how much experience you have, to stare over someone else's shoulders and watch how others do things. The real challenge, is trying to remember how they did it!:confused:

Anthony Welch
09-23-2008, 10:16 PM
This thread is also showing how Corel is so diverse that there are several ways to "skin a cat". Thank you again gentlemen for your info. and tips.

Anthony

Rodne Gold
09-24-2008, 1:37 AM
By far the best way to do colour vector clipart is to use Photograv. It takes seconds to convert and comes out wonderfully. Its not only hidden lines you need to be wary of , stuff like fountain fills , fades , non std colour etc will also create big problems

Mike Null
09-24-2008, 6:46 AM
Bill makes a very good point. I have been using Corel since version 8 or for about ten years and I still spend a fair amount of time studying the program. I am constantly amazed at the breadth and scope of this program and the ridiculously low price.

There are many resources on the Internet with help and tutorials as well.

Mike Mackenzie
09-24-2008, 12:04 PM
With the Universal all we have to do is select Clip art Mode and all of the above is handled without any work to the file.

Import Clip art
Size and position
print with clip art mode
Done

Bill Cunningham
09-25-2008, 9:18 PM
Epilog has a clipart and a photo mode as well.. If you send a colour image, it coverts all the colours to shades before engraving.. But I would rather not be surprised by what a drivers idea of my work should look like. If it's originally colour, photograv makes it so much simpler and predictable..

Roy Brewer
09-27-2008, 10:13 AM
...My problem is that when I only want to raster the art, but have some vector cuts elsewhere, ...

With the Universal all we have to do is select Clip art Mode and all of the above is handled without any work to the file...

Mike,

I think the way most of us read Anthony's post was he needed some lines to vector in his project. Will ULS's Clipart mode allow only a portion of document to be "rastered?"