PDA

View Full Version : HF Air Brad Nailer

Lon LeBlanc
09-21-2008, 11:42 AM
I have a Bostich compressor and brad nailer kit that I like a lot and use a bunch. Recently, I decided that a second brad nailer would be handy, keeping two different length 18 ga brads at the ready, instead of having to change brads. However, when I priced the brad nailer at my local hardware store, it was in the $85 range.

Well, I'll admit to being an HF lurker, occasionally picking up something useful. However, I've been forever shy of motorized tools and have avoided all the air tools. A 3/8 close quarter drill was the first motorized purchase, and it works well.

After seeing the prices on the Bostich brad nailer, I decided to try an HF brad nailer. (Item 46309, on sale for $17.99). How can you go wrong for $18 bucks? This morning, I loaded it with 1.75" brads and went to work on framing two pass-thru doors in my office.

First impression: Not bad. The fit and finish is nearly as good as the Bostich, although the locking mechanism for the brad magazine is sort of a cheap design...not quite as positive a lock as the Bostich. Seems to do just as good a job as my Bostich. It came in a blow-molded case, and even came complete with spare O-ring. spare Drive pin, Step pin, and Piston head, machine oil, and 2 hex wrenches. Accepts 5/8" - 2" 18-ga brads. So, I can now keep a second gun with shorter or longer brads and not have to be fumbling with loading and unloading when I need a different brad length.

Anyone else use this nailer? Or, any of the other HF air tools?

Note: I'm not in any way affiliated with HF.

Rich Engelhardt
09-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Hello,

Anyone else use this nailer? Or, any of the other HF air tools?

I've used similar - a Coleman that was probably made in the same factory in China.
There isn't a lot of mystery to an 18ga. brad nailer.
Of the three I have, the Coleman a Tradesman nailer/stapler and a very old Craftsman, all of them work about the same.
The only differece I've noticed are the better ones use a little less pressure and leave a lttle less of a mark.

I did have a bad experience with a HF 28* framing nailer (pure junk - LOL! I gave it to my fat brother in law :D).

Does the 28 ga you bought shoot staples too or just brads?
( I usually keep the Coleman loaded with staples)
If it does, I wouldn't mind having another 18 ga staple gun. - especially if it handled 1 1/2" staples. Both mine top out at 1 1/4".

Lon LeBlanc
09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Does the 28 ga you bought shoot staples too or just brads?

Rich,

It's the 18 ga nailer, not a 28. Yes, the reason I got it was to shoot longer brads than my Bostich, with tops out at 1.25". This one shoots up to 2", and all the way down to 5/8". I've got it loaded with 1.75" brads right now. This one does not shoot staples, but there is a very similar model that shoots both brads and staples. It think the sale price was $19.95, but I already have a staple air gun, and don't shoot that many at this point. So, the single purpose gun seemed to meet my immediate needs better.

Lon

Burt Alcantara
09-21-2008, 2:41 PM
I've got the same gun. Since this is my first and only nailer I have nothing to compare it to but it does everything I expect it to do. I'm very happy with it. On occasion it will not fire but it's rare enough that it is not an issue for me.

I have their cheap impact hammer which is not so good and the sander which won't work with my anemic 4 gal compressor.

Burt

Marlin Williams
09-21-2008, 4:11 PM
I also have the 2 in 1 brad nailer/staple gun.

We used it when doing the remodel of our house. It worked well. We only used it in soft woods, mostly trim/molding. I saw 1 review that said it had a hard time with some hardwoods.

Lon LeBlanc
09-21-2008, 4:26 PM
On occasion it will not fire but it's rare enough that it is not an issue for me.

Burt

Burt,

I also found that if I didn't depress the safety switch fully, that it would not fire....but then, that's what I would expect it to do. I quickly figured out that I had to hold the gun firmly to the work surface and make sure the safety switch was fully depressed.

Lon

Tom Esh
09-21-2008, 4:48 PM
...How can you go wrong for $18 bucks?

You can go wrong if it turns out to be unsafe because of a manufacturing defect. IMO Nailers are dangerous enough without HF in the mix. I'm very careful about what I buy there. Never anything powered, and never anything too big or heavy to shlep back under one arm should it turn out to be defective.

Ray Schafer
09-21-2008, 5:50 PM
I bought a stapler a few years ago -- figured it was somthing that I would not use very much. I was right ... I only used it once ... because the next time that I pulled it out of the box it wouldn't work. My nephew is a mechanic, and he and I together could not figure out why it was not working! I threw it in the trash can.

Chris Stolicky
09-21-2008, 7:30 PM
I have this brad nailer and have used it quite a bit. No issues. Just make sure you depress the tip all the way down. I also purchased the stapler/nailer version. I haven't been as impressed with this one.

I did purchase one their 'better' roofing nailers and have used it for two sheds so far with no issues.

When I wanted a framing nailer, I drew the line and said there was no way I would trust HF quality with something that big. So, I went out and bought a PC.

Dave Cav
09-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I have 2 18 gauge and 2 16 gauge H.F. brad nailers, a stapler and a 23 gauge pinner. All bought on sale, most several years ago. All work just fine, but then again I don't use them every day in a production setting. I got the 23 gauge pinner specificifically to put glass stops in place in some cases I was building. It worked great. I will admit that I AM considering their 21* framing nailer if I can get it on sale. Again, it would be for occasional use.

Dave C