View Full Version : Cleaning glue off clamps

Joe Von Kaenel
09-21-2008, 9:39 AM
Hello,

Is there a good solvent to clean Tite Bond III from the groves in my Bessy K-Body clamps? I've tried goo-gone which didn't help. Can I use a wire brush on a drill? Leaving the glue on th clamp makes it hard to open and close the clamp. Thanks

Joe

Thomas Williams
09-21-2008, 9:48 AM
I have always been able to clean glue off of my clamps with a wire brush. No drill needed, just a plain brush. I usually use the ones about the size of tooth brush. I am not sure of a solvent to use on this glue.

Pat Germain
09-21-2008, 9:51 AM
You can find those little brass brushes at your local home center. I think they're located with the welding tools.

Surprisingly, pure lemon juice works very well at disolving dried glue. You just have to soak it awhile. Obviously, this is possible with a clamp, but for brushes and such, it works great.

Dave Lehnert
09-21-2008, 9:58 AM
Bessy recommends the wire brush in a drill trick to remove glue.

Keep a film of top coat or past wax on the bars to help with removal of glue next time.

Doug Shepard
09-21-2008, 10:36 AM
I've had some luck getting it hot with a heat gun before using the wire brush.

Bill Huber
09-21-2008, 10:46 AM
I use a wire brush when they get really bad, most if the time it just comes right off.

But to get it to come off very easy you need to wax your clamps to start. I clean my clamps all up and then give them a good was with paste wax just like I do to my saw tops. I put the wax on but I don't buff it off, just leave it like it is and then the glue will come right off.

Joe Von Kaenel
09-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the help. I will clean them off and wax the clamps.

Joe

Tom Panks
09-21-2008, 4:33 PM
I most always spray WD40 on my clamps and any tools for that matter that contact glue. Hardened glue will just fall off with a few knocks. I have also found that spraying the WD40 on a piece of steel that had hardened glue on it seemed to slip under the glue and break the bond.

Brent Smith
09-21-2008, 9:02 PM
Brass brush to clean, but it's easier to just use this in the first place http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=32092&cat=1,43415,43440 .