PDA

View Full Version : Another which handplane thread

Nelson Bradley
09-21-2008, 1:38 AM
I'm seriously considering getting a LV or LN plane soon. I already have a no 3 bedrock my father-in-law gave me and an old stanley jointer. I also have cheap (modern) stanley 4 and 5 jack planes that I've tuned up the best I can.

My stock prep is done with machines right now so I'm thinking the best place to start is with a smoother. What I'm not sure about is if I should get a 4 or 4 1/2, low angle, bevel up etc.

So what's the consensus?

Johnny Kleso
09-21-2008, 1:44 AM
I'm a Bevel Down lover but a lot of folks like BUs

You can use a LV BU Jack for smoothing as well as the Smoother..

You can also use your No603 for smoothing the blemishes..

Myself I would wait till next month till the new Stanleys come out..

Randy Klein
09-21-2008, 7:01 AM
You can use a LV BU Jack for smoothing as well as the Smoother..

+1

The low angle jack with an O1 25 degree bevel blade is a great shooter. Add an O1 50 degree bevel blade and you have a high angle smoother when 603 fails to smooth.

Hank Knight
09-21-2008, 7:47 AM
+2

My LN Low angle jack has become my favorite plane. I can set it up to take rank cuts to hog off lots of wood or to take the finest of shavings for very precise work. I usually keep mine set up for the fine stuff because it does such a nice job, and I can use it as a smoother that way. It's the most versatile plane in my shop.

Hank

Nelson Bradley
09-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with the LV low angle jack. I'm really excited about seeing what one of these can do. Household 6 agreed I can have it as an anniversary present.

Bob Noles
09-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Good choice! It is my favorite among the herd. Did you get all 3 blades for it?

Joe Vincent
09-21-2008, 1:12 PM
Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with the LV low angle jack. I'm really excited about seeing what one of these can do. Household 6 agreed I can have it as an anniversary present.

Nelson: In case you didn't already know, Lee Valley has free shipping that ends today I believe.

Nelson Bradley
09-21-2008, 2:12 PM
Nelson: In case you didn't already know, Lee Valley has free shipping that ends today I believe.

That's why I decided to jump on it. The order is already in. I didn't get all three blades for it, but I'm sure I will pick the other two up later.

Nelson Bradley
10-06-2008, 5:20 PM
I got to use my LV for the first time today. I've had it for a couple of weeks, but work has kept me on the road. All I can say is WOW. I now understand the difference between these cheap planes I've been trying to use and a more expensive well built plane. I think I'm hooked.

dan grant
10-06-2008, 8:18 PM
hide your wallet:)

Jim Knishka
10-06-2008, 10:26 PM
I took a small step down the slope tonight...bought a copy of Garrett Hack's "The Handplane Book". I've been closely following the threads on BU vs BD. My only plane now is a low angle block, I'm planning to buy a smoother this fall, probably a bevel up because the consensus seems to be they are easier to use starting out.

Nelson, which model did you buy?

Nelson Bradley
10-06-2008, 10:39 PM
I got the BU Jack Plane. I think my next plane will be the BU Jointer.