PDA

View Full Version : Vector cutting-- getting a double cut lines

seaver dave
09-20-2008, 11:02 PM
I am using corell x3. I found a great puzzle scroll saw pattern, I scanned it into a bmp file and imported it into corell. Used the trace function--converted to black and white--removed background color and set the line width to hairline. I made sure I removed any copies of the traced file and had only the single traced file/graphics on the screen. When I sent the file to my epilog mini 24 (35 watt) I got a double line cut. I 'm using 1/4 baltic birch--machine setting = 600dpi power 100% and Speed 10. I assume my problem is missing a step or 2 in corell???

I know when I vector cut letters I do a hairline outline and use the no fill white color box with the X and it cuts with a single cut line. Doesn't work in this situation.

would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Dave Seaver

George M. Perzel
09-21-2008, 6:44 AM
Hi Dave;
Assume you mean a double wide line-two hairlines close to each other through the whole image and not two lines on top pf each other.
Use Centerline trace and Technical Illustration-may have to tweak the sliders a bit. Not the best but will get you almost there.
Corel 12 had a fairly good centerline trace function but they scrapped it (why??) when they integrated Trace into X3. I still use C12 trace for some things.
Good Luck
George
Laserarts

Darren Null
09-21-2008, 7:25 AM
Just a thought...how many colours were in your output trace? With bitmaps, there's stuff called feathering, where -for a black and white image- would be a band of variously grey pixels around the edge. This fools the eye into believing that the edge of your shape is smooth, and eliminates jagged edges in your bitmap.

It occurs to me that the wrong trace settings could leave you with a nearly invisible grey band around all your shapes, which could lead to a double cut line.

Apart from that possibility, tracing from a scanned bitmap should work fine. Or you've got one of those double head thingys and forgotten about it.

seaver dave
09-21-2008, 9:51 PM
George you were right. corel 12 trace using the center line did the trick.
Thanks for the help.

Dave Seaver