PDA

View Full Version : covering a wall with copper

Lynn Kasdorf
05-12-2004, 3:54 PM
Ok, this is not exactly WOOD working, but it is CRAFTY...and involves techniques and finishes...

I'm fixing up our 200 year old house for sale. The kitchen is pretty tiny, so I'm making it as cool as I can.

For the backsplash, I decided that copper would be a nice, vintage, classy look. AFter kicking around designs, I decided that it would be best to cover the entire backsplash wall with copper.

Pretty obsessive I reckon, but it is going to look really cool. The whole wall only cost me < $80 in copper.

The question in my mind is how to finish the copper. My current plan os to hand rub in circles with white (fine) scotchbright, clean with Twinkle cleaner, then wax with bowling alley paste wax. It needs to be as bright as possible. I think a hand rubbed matte finish would be the most forgiving, as there will always be imperfections, scratches, ripples, etc.

I'm afraid of applying a coating, as it will eventually fail, and be hard to patch. Some sort of coating will be required though because fingerprints turn dark and ugly on fresh copper. Untreated copper will darken to a muddy brown eventually.

I suppose I could even wipe it with ammonia to promote the greening.

Anybody have experience with copper in this sort of decorative application?

Dan Mages
05-12-2004, 4:10 PM
It is not that hard. I did a tin ceiling in my kitchen. They also supply their patterns in copper. You should check out www.tin-ceilings.com. It is not that hard to put up. You would first skin the wall with 1/2" BC plywood and some craft paper. Then you can tack up the copper plates with a brad nailer or traditional cone head nails. You can check out what I did in my kitchen at http://photos.yahoo.com/danmages.

Dan

Jim Becker
05-12-2004, 4:30 PM
Another option is to use copper tiles, available from most "real" tile suppliers from several manufacturers. We considered this for our kitchen renovation last year, but decided to stay with ceramic tile other than behind the range where stainless was more appropriate. The copper (or other metal) tiles are available in a variety of sizes and styles, including embossed with various patterns and apply to the wall in a similar manner to ceramic tiles. They also don't have the "care" requirements that copper sheet has.

If you go with the copper, wax may wash off with many household cleaners and probably will not work well to keep things bright. Clear lacquer might be a good option as it is more durable when being cleaned.

Lynn Kasdorf
05-12-2004, 4:50 PM
Jim,
I've already templated and cut the metal. I considered tiles, but didn't really care for the look as much as plain copper.

Now, embossed copper was my original plan, but I'd have to order it, and it is not cheap. I am getting pretty short on time here, so, on suggestion by th e countertop template guy, I'm going with copper flashing.

I've actually called the copper developers association (!) and asked their suggestions.

Incralac is the suggested clear coating, but I was also told that any coating will eventually fail, and I figure a lacquer would be a hassle to patch/redo.

I'm thinking that it will take on a nice, old, organic patina after a while. I mostly need to keep it from developing the ugly dark splotches from finger prints, and I think wax will do that.

If the future owner wants to clean and clear coat it, that would be a simple option. Going the other direction is hard however.

This was a last minute, hair-brained idea to do this. I hope it works out! So far, it looks fantastic. I'll post pics when I can.

Lynn Sonier
05-12-2004, 5:06 PM
Lynn, looking forward to seeing pictures of your copper backsplash.
Its nice to have another guy named Lynn on the forum
Lynn

Walt Pater
05-12-2004, 7:12 PM
Lynn K: Did the Copper Development guys say anything about which adhesive to use behind the copper? (I'm assuming you'll use glue in addition to other fasteners). I don't remember exactly what the reasons were, but a few years ago I had a countertop guy insist on using GE silicone II to aid in sticking a bartop on. Something corrosive in glues? Copper pitting from behind? Wonder if you heard anything. Walt.

Lynn Kasdorf
05-13-2004, 12:41 PM
They didn't mention anything special- I'm planning to use liquid nails panelling glue and no nails. I may call the guy back. I do have some copper nails, and was planning to neatly nail the seams, but I think I'll forego that. I saw a site that specifically said not to use nails at all. They would just make it harder to maintain.

I found a site that suggests causing the turquoise color to form with ammonia followed by pickling vinegar. Yum! I may try this on a small sample, but I think I'll leave that to the ultimate owner.

I just ordered some copper switch plates to go with it. And I think I'm going to put in the copper finish Price Pfister kitchen faucet I saw at the Borg. The counter is a forest green topstone (corian-like) and nice old heart-pine cabinets. Should be pretty cool!

Bruce Page
05-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Lynn, a good plating house can “age” copper. I have seen some “aged” copper and it looks cool. I have no idea on the process used.

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-13-2004, 4:20 PM
Bruce
It only took the copper roof on the window box 14 years to turn green.
Daniel :D