PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox oil for Delta planer??

Jeff Graves
09-20-2008, 7:55 PM
I have a Delta DC380 planer. I ercently bought it used and feel like I should change the gearbox oil. THe planer is about 6 years old and the oil hasn't been changed to my knowledge. The Delta manual says to use Delta oil. I found a 75-90 weight gear oil at an Auto store ans was wondering if that would work? Any help is appreciated!!
THanks,
Jeff

Tom Veatch
09-20-2008, 8:06 PM
90 weight is a fairly standard gearbox oil and, if the manual says "oil" but doesn't specify a viscosity, is what I would use. I certainly wouldn't expect the planer gears to be more heavily loaded than the front end gearing of my 4WD tractor.

Of course, prudence would suggest a query to Delta Customer Service.

Reminds me. Probably should check the manual for my planer and see if it recommends a maintenance lubrication period.

Bruce Wrenn
09-21-2008, 9:29 PM
This was a popular question a couple years back. Seems that I remember that some gear oils aren't compatable with brass gears.

Peter Quinn
09-22-2008, 7:26 PM
Those folks at Delta are annoying crooks on the oil front. "Delta Oil" is little more than 80-90 hypoid (synthetic) multi purpose gear oil available at any auto parts store for $3 a quart, they want to sell it to you for something like $14 a pint plus shipping! I checked with several machinist friends and a mechanic I trust before coming to the conclusion that delta sucks.

I have the DC-380, purchased used, badly needed an oil change. I have been using 80WT castrol hypoid gear oil in it for several years now, no issues. Delta wouldn't even tell me what weight to use when I called on the phone! They can kiss my $%^^&^&^%%$% if they think I am going to pay 10X the value of the oil to have their name on it. Seriously, this is a $3-$4 item, but not from them!

Think about it like this...do you really believe that Delta is in the oil refinery business? Do you think they engineered a "Special" gearbox oil just for this machine? Do you think the gears in that box are under more stress than say a semi's transmission? Doubtful. They take a standard gear oil, they put a delta sticker on it, they get real vague with the specs in the manual, and they scalp you on the cost. They are bums!

Check a Powermatic planer manual on line. Does powermatic sell gear oil? Does any other manufacturer sell gear oil? No, they all spec "Any multi purpose gearbox oil" as quoted from the powermatic 15" planer manual, page 18. Don't fall for Delta's BS, but do keep that oil fresh, its a very good planer worth maintaining.

Correy Smith
05-14-2012, 9:58 PM
What type oil is used in the 15" Planer gear box?The machine was originally filled with approximately 20 ounces of 140 weight, EP (extreme pressure), gear oil.
If adding oil, use 140 wt. EP gear oil.
If changing oil, either 140 wt. EP gear oil, or 85W140 wt, multi-viscosity EP gear oil may be used. Fill to the filler hole.
The 85W140 with EP Additive is available as Delta service part number 999010131210.
DO NOT MIX oils of different types or viscosities.
From the Delta Web Site under frequently asked.....

Ron Natalie
05-15-2012, 3:20 AM
I can't vouch for $3. You can get Valvoline EP oil that meets the spec for $8 at most places.

Tim Boger
05-15-2012, 7:08 AM
I have a Delta DC380 planer. I ercently bought it used and feel like I should change the gearbox oil. THe planer is about 6 years old and the oil hasn't been changed to my knowledge. The Delta manual says to use Delta oil. I found a 75-90 weight gear oil at an Auto store ans was wondering if that would work? Any help is appreciated!!
THanks,
Jeff

Tell me that only certain models of Delta planers require gear oil ??? I have an inexpensive 12-1/2" Delta planer and never even considered that there is oil in it.

Guess I had better take another look at the manual.

Tim

Bob Reda
05-15-2012, 7:51 AM
like someone said, this topic came up a few years back and I think that the consensus was a synthetic gear oil was probaably best for about $5 a quart.

Cary Falk
05-15-2012, 10:19 AM
Tell me that only certain models of Delta planers require gear oil ??? I have an inexpensive 12-1/2" Delta planer and never even considered that there is oil in it.

Guess I had better take another look at the manual.

Tim
Lunchbox planers(which is what is sounds like you have) do not require oil. The planers in question are cast iron stationary planers with induction motors.

Tim Boger
05-15-2012, 3:58 PM
[QUOTE=Cary Falk;1927677]Lunchbox planers(which is what is sounds like you have) do not require oil. The planers in question are cast iron stationary planers with induction motors.

Thanks!