PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday was a great day - TOOL GLOAT

Marlin Williams
09-20-2008, 7:46 PM
So I have been looking to get a agood router table with a lift option. But the prices seem very high IMO, and that was just a table no router.

I kept a eye out on Craigslist but for some reason there are very few wood workers in the N. VA area. In NC I could find just about any tool at craigslist but never up here. So I looked and found a Grizzly G1026 (3Hp Shaper) for $500. It was on the high end of my price. I offered $400 and they said $450. So I got it for $450. Even better it had the optional router bit spindle and dust port already on it.

It is 10 years old but the only difference I see is the bigger name plate and the lift handle is metal now. Other then that same motor, fence, etc...

Here are pics...

pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Marlin1975/Shaper.JPG

pics.bbzzdd.com/users/Marlin1975/Shaper2.JPG

^Copy and paste to see^

Russ Massery
09-21-2008, 9:22 AM
Broken link

randy street
09-21-2008, 9:40 AM
Marlin,

Here are your pictures.

Randy

Don Bullock
09-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Wow! Now that's what I call a great gloat. Congratulations.

guy knight
09-21-2008, 1:15 PM
nice gloat now all you need to do is buy the cutters and after a few of those i think you may find the router table wasn't as spendy as you thought it was

Marlin Williams
09-21-2008, 1:47 PM
Thanks for the Pic help. If you copy and paste the links they still come up.

Well for now I am going to run router bits. I knew it was a good deal when i got it since it came with the $50 router spindle. But did nto know the dust port was a extra as well.

The adjustments on it are great and very accurate.

So now I have my...

Shaper 3HP Grizzly
Jointer 3hp Shop Fox (Pall. table)
Table Saw 36-979 Delta with Unifence
Planer 15" Palmgren

Those are my big tools. Juts need to finish setting up my new to me shop here in VA.

Peter Quinn
09-21-2008, 2:38 PM
Nice score. I'd of bought that in a blink, would look nice next to my present shaper! Now you NEED to start saving/looking/searching for a powerfeed. You don't need to make a big investment in shaper cutters until you have a feed to push them. If you haven't used a shaper before, let me tell you it is a whole lot more powerful than a 3HP router, and a lot less forgiving too. For many things a powerfeed should not be viewed as an "optional" option.

In the mean time, you have the heavest, most powerful router table on the block!:D Congrats. Enjoy that.

PS...Don't give up on a good router table either. They have a lot of capabilities a shaper can't offer. Even a simple shop made affair with a home made fence can serve you well.

J.R. Rutter
09-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Congrats! And I second the recommendation for a feeder.

Myk Rian
09-22-2008, 7:22 AM
Well for now I am going to run router bits. I knew it was a good deal when i got it since it came with the $50 router spindle. But did nto know the dust port was a extra as well.
Don't shapers turn in the opposite direction that routers do?
For $450 you could have made a great router table/cabinet and put a router in it.

Marlin Williams
09-22-2008, 7:38 AM
For $450 you could have made a great router table/cabinet and put a router in it.

It runs in both directions. In one of the pics you can see the switch for forward and reverse.

Dave Lehnert
09-22-2008, 3:59 PM
A router table is a bit better for router bits. Shaper speed around 10,000 rpm is a little slow for bits. Not a problem, you just need to take smaller cuts with each pass.
Overall a shaper will out do a router table any day if you plan to do cabinet doors or the like.

J.R. Rutter
09-22-2008, 4:42 PM
Shaper speed around 10,000 rpm is a little slow for bits. Not a problem, you just need to take smaller cuts with each pass.

Use a slower feed rate. Not as prone to burning at the lower RPM. (Get the feeder!)

Marlin Williams
09-22-2008, 7:03 PM
Yea I did have cabinets in mind when I got this. We will be moving our kitchen when we expand our house next year and I want to make all the cabinets for it.

I know a router spinds faster then the shaper but everybody that has a shaper says it is still fast enough and for smaller bits just slow your feed down a little and that is all it takes.

But I need to finish the platfom bed made from Wenge first.