PDA

View Full Version : Do I need air assist?

bob pfohler
09-20-2008, 6:18 PM
I just got my laser and I've been playing with some .0625 Laser Max from Rowmark. I'm having trouble getting a good edge quality. it seems to flame quite a bit.
Much of my work will be with this material so will air assist make the cutting quality better?

Can it be added to my PLS 3.60, most places I read say' "Must be factor installed."?

Larry Bratton
09-20-2008, 7:05 PM
I just got my laser and I've been playing with some .0625 Laser Max from Rowmark. I'm having trouble getting a good edge quality. it seems to flame quite a bit.
Much of my work will be with this material so will air assist make the cutting quality better?
Yes it will and it will keep down flaming.

Thad Nickoley
09-21-2008, 3:40 PM
I spent a while without air assist because I didnt think that i needed it. As soon as i hooked it up I find that I use it a lot. I would say that it is a necessity.

David Fairfield
09-21-2008, 4:04 PM
For some materials, you can do without it, but why would you want to? Before you buy one from your laser rep, get some recommendations for air compressors here first, we'll probably be able to save you some $$ :)

Dave

Frank Corker
09-21-2008, 6:08 PM
I have it but rarely find the need to use it. The extractor is the most important thing. However if you get a substance that easily flares up then the air assist is a definite.

Mike Null
09-22-2008, 6:45 AM
There are times when I find air assist to be a hindrance, for example when rastering, but for certain materials it is essential. Acrylic and certain engraving plastics flame excessively without air assist.

There have been a number is threads on this topic so a search will turn up a lot of reading material.

Mike Mackenzie
09-23-2008, 1:02 PM
Bob,

It is helpful for cutting applications and yes it can be installed in the field. The first thing I would look at is your PPI setting you should lower this to around 200 - 300. This will dramatically reduce the flaming.

Joe Pelonio
09-23-2008, 2:38 PM
I use air assist 100% of the time for cutting anything whether really needed or not, but never for engraving.

Darren Null
09-23-2008, 10:48 PM
Same here. It blows all the crap away from the lens. Often I turn it on for engraving too...particularly for mirror and marble.

Rodne Gold
09-24-2008, 1:45 AM
I use air assist as a constant , no matter what I do , it is VITAL......
Without it , engraving is difficult as the by products of the vaporisation are not blown away vigorously and either settle on the lens or material and for cutting ANYTHING and getting a decent edge quality and stopping heat affected zones , its a must.
The only time we never use it is if it will disturb the material (like cutting thin paper) or when using cerdek/thermark/whatever as it sometimes blows the coatings off.
It is even more useful when the air assist pressurises the lens box as this stops ALL debris form contaminating the lens and final mirror.
If you look at synrads site www.synrad.com (http://www.synrad.com) , you will see in almost all applications , air assist at a particular flow rate or pressure is listed.