PDA

View Full Version : Ready to buy a planer, any last moments tips?

Radek Kowalski
09-20-2008, 5:06 PM
I am looking to buy the Dewalt 735. I realize the blades have been a problem for some, and the planer is LOUD when hooked up to a dc. Anything else I should know? Whats the shortest length I can put threw? I am looking to run a couple end grain cutting boards. Thanks for your time.

jason lambert
09-20-2008, 5:56 PM
Well I have the dewalt and love it. You can do about a foot, foot and a half minum but I am guessing here. You can put shorter wood through it but need a sled.

But it sound like to me you need a drum sander not a plainer. Running cutting boards through is tuff you may get chip out and snipe and run the board also evey one you run through would have to be on a sled if they are under 1 ft. Also the glue can be ruff on the blades. Plainers are to thincness wood, drum sanders are to finish wood flat like doors and cutting boards.

Cary Falk
09-20-2008, 6:13 PM
I don't have the 735 so I can't comment on that. I agree with Jason.A drum sander is probably the better suited tool for the job.

Peter Quinn
09-20-2008, 7:27 PM
You will need to check the owners manual for sure, but i think the minimum length of stock is something like 7"? Don't how its going to do on end grain boards though. Few planers excell at milling end grain. Do you have a belt sander.

mreza Salav
09-20-2008, 8:06 PM
I am looking to buy the Dewalt 735. I realize the blades have been a problem for some, and the planer is LOUD when hooked up to a dc. Anything else I should know? Whats the shortest length I can put threw? I am looking to run a couple end grain cutting boards. Thanks for your time.

As said, end-grain is really hard on the blades. They are not designed for this use. However, I have done it too. Make sure you make very very light passes. Also, make sure you round over the edges before sending it through the planer (or they'll cheap very badly). Did I say use very light passes?

Peter Quadarella
09-20-2008, 8:11 PM
I have heard stories of end grain cutting boards exploding in planers. Nothing first hand, but I don't think I'm trying it.

peter de tappan
09-21-2008, 7:06 AM
Did you see the thread about Byrd shelix heads for the 735?

Ken Slemmer
09-21-2008, 7:51 AM
Have you purchased the 735 yet…? I ordered a Reconditioned 735 through ToolKing.

Currently the 735R is $ 419.88.
The price of a new 735 is $ 529.99.
Plus on orders of $ 300.00 or more you get a $ 15.00 off.
Orders over $ 500.00 are $ 25.00 off.

And any order over $ 100.00 is Free Shipping.

I have not powered the reconditioned unit up as yet, I received it this past Friday. Package arrived in very good condition…no damage. I plan to power it up tomorrow to make sure everything is in working order.

One point to mention, the reconditioned unit comes with a one-year Service Warranty.
A new 735 comes with a one-year Service Warranty and a Three Year Limited Warranty.

Hope this helps.