PDA

View Full Version : "Anchorseal" price increase

Ken Glass
09-20-2008, 2:53 PM
Hey Gang,
I received a note in the monthly mailing from UT Coatings. Anchorseal is going up substantially at the beginning of the month. I guess the wax emulsion is what is driving up the price. I just bought a 5 gallon pail for $65.00 including UPS shipping and might get another one before the price increase. I thought I would let everyone know in time.......

Gordon Seto
09-20-2008, 3:46 PM
Any more details? Thanks.

Frank Drew
09-20-2008, 4:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Ken. I've never bought Anchorseal as such, but the green wood sealers I've gotten through Craft Supplies and others have been about that price ($15/gal) for years and years. In my experience it seems to last in the container for a very long time without degrading.

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I was going to wait but guess i won't.

William Bachtel
09-21-2008, 9:00 AM
You tell me one thing that hasn't gone up lately. Oh besides your paycheck.:):)

Ken Glass
09-21-2008, 9:51 AM
For all who want to know, here are the details and an excerpt from the letter I received.

Effective Oct.5, 2008 the price of Anchorseal will increase 7.5% ($4.50 per pail). Since May of this year the cost of their wax has risen more than 35% and other raw materials have increased more than 30%. They go on to explain that when Gas was $1.75 it was not profitable to put energy into "cracking" the wax to make more valuable fuels and lubricants, but at $3.00+ per gallon, they make more money by converting wax into fuels (and thereby decreasing the supply of wax, which drives wax prices higher).
They do say that they are in the final stages of developing a new substitute for hybrid wax sealer., (Anchorseal2). which will be less sensitive to wax price increases.
I thought this was worth a post, since most of us use a sealer of some type to seal blanks and logs. www.uccoatings.com (http://www.uccoatings.com)

Paul Engle
09-21-2008, 1:34 PM
WWsupply was 21.85 last week in Spokane Valley Washington store.....gal , qt was 10.95.