PDA

View Full Version : Silver Maple?

Bill Mitchel
09-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Hey Guys

I've just started turning and have been gathering info from you guys behind the scences. What great info - thanks! I have someone in the area that is cutting down a Silver Maple that he said has died and is dry. I don't know how dead or dry. I'm going most likely Sunday to take a look (he's cutting it down now). Any advise?

Thanks
Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
09-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Get all you can and turn, turn, turn.

If the wood is still green seal the ends with a sealer or several coats of latex paint.

robert hainstock
09-20-2008, 10:14 AM
That's great advice. :)
Bob

Steve Schlumpf
09-20-2008, 10:14 AM
Bill - Welcome to the Creek! Like Ken already stated - get all you can! Great wood to turn and free wood is the best to learn on! Have fun and remember we really like pictures!

Bill Mitchel
09-20-2008, 10:30 AM
How does the wood turn if its dry? I know some wood are tougher to turn than others when dry. By the way this is in St Louis if anyone is interested, just pm me.

Bill

Curt Fuller
09-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Like everyone else has already said, get all you can. Also, silver maple spalts very nicely so try bagging some pieces with some dirt and/or old leaves and letting it get all moldy and slimey and you'll have some very pretty wood. Also when you're getting the wood, get any burls, crotches, and any other irregular pieces. That's where the prettiest wood is hiding.

Bernie Weishapl
09-20-2008, 11:36 AM
Can't add much to the great advice you have gotten. Only thing I would add even if he says it is dry I would seal the ends. I found out on some ash that was supposedly dry. It wasn't and cracked all over. So I seal all wood that is cut down.

Bill Mitchel
09-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Great info - thanks. I just pick up some locust last night and sealed the ends. Interested to see how it looks also.

Bill

Richard Madison
09-20-2008, 6:00 PM
Good advice from Bernie. A few years ago I cut down an oak that had been standing dead for more than a year. It was still wet inside.